1 Staff | 15 Members
Live Chat
trusnow
Powered by 400,224 Members
Shopping Forum Out of Stock
username or email password
 Forum Home > SNOWBOARDS > Gear Talk : Ask other riders

Quick Login: Forgot password?

Need Female Responsive Freeride Bindings!!

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
alihockey View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote alihockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Need Female Responsive Freeride Bindings!!
    Posted: Nov/11/2013 at 7:39pm
New here and I could use a bit of help. I am in need of some new bindings for my 2012 NS Lotus. I love to charge the mountain, and I am not interested in hitting the park anytime soon. Right now I'm on groomers mainly because of location but I get out to whatever backcountry NH has to offer when I can. I need bindings that will last a while which are very stiff and responsive. I keep getting mixed reviews on the stiffest female bindings so I've come here for help! Any suggestions would be extremely helpful!! Here are some stats to help you out:

Ride: 2012 NS Lotus 149'
Boot size: 7.5 US
Weight: 125 lbs
Height: 5'5
Current Bindings: 2007 Flow Prima
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2013 at 5:47am
I'm riding pretty similar stuff like you and I have a pair of Ride VXNs, which are ok, but if I could get a new binding, I'd probably go with one of these:

- Burton Escapade or Lexa
- Union Legacy
- Ride Fame or DVA

Going over these I've just now had to realize that it's incredibly hard to pick. If you could demo your top choices that would probably be best/if your budget forces you to eliminate some of them.

Come to think about it, I quite like my VXNs too, except that I would prefer a cushier ankle strap to the one I have. Then again it's a few years old so it might be better now.
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2013 at 6:02am
Hmmm, 5'5", 125 lbs... we need a photo to better serve you, perhaps a bikini shot so we can truly evaluate your physical stature.

Wink

My girlfriend rides Rome Strut bindings.  Struts are medium+ stiff and responsive, great adjustability, really good straps... which sounds like what you are looking for.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2013 at 12:00pm
You're terrible sideways... The Strut looks like it has a super cushy ankle strap. How's the cap strap? It seems to be a bit sheit actually. Does it stay on nicely?
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2013 at 12:15pm
Yep, she really likes the ankle straps, they are very cushy.  She went from some crappy cheap K2 bindings (forgot the model) to the Rome Struts and the first thing she noticed was how plush the ankle straps are.  Also, the ratchets are a lot smoother and the bindings are more responsive.  The toe/cap straps are really good, similar to the toe/cap straps on my Rome 390 Boss bindings.  They look flimsy but it molds to your toe and holds really well.  She noticed she doesn't have to crank down on the toe straps to keep them from slipping like her old shit K2 bindings.

Hey, a picture is worth a thousand words.  How else can we target the perfect binding for ms. alihockey?  A bikini or lingerie photo will show us her exact proportions and that way we can match her up with the perfect binding.  All in the name of science!
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2013 at 12:37pm
Have you checked out the Burton Lexa?
http://www.trusnow.com/Burton-Lexa-Snowboard-Bindings.asp
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2013 at 12:39pm
I hope it turns out she's about 14
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2013 at 12:42pm
Originally posted by namsapalooza

I hope it turns out she's about 14

Nah, I'm betting she's 21, hot and single... like this:

MTpow View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MTpow Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2013 at 1:19pm
hey creepos... cut it out.  
MOAR powderz plz!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2013 at 1:43pm
Originally posted by MTpow

hey creepos... cut it out.  

I think he's talking to you, namsapalooza.

2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2013 at 2:35pm
I'm bout the same size but a tad taller. I'm a male rider but have used and using a lot of female equipments.
I had the K2 Agogos. Fits my Vans Veil (womens boots) great. Very good bindings for very good price, but I prefer soft ones so I sold them. These bindings are mid stiff (on the stiffer side) for our weight. The quick toe strap is very comfy and saves weight. I'm not a big fan on gimmicks but it works well. After you get used to it, its very seemless when you strap in. But the toe straps requires some time to adjust. Canted footbed takes pressure off the legs, knees and lower back. Footbed dampening is very cushy. Bindings are light-mid weight. Ratchets are smooth. Ankle straps are very comfy with plenty of padding.
Over all very responsive bindings. Comfy all day long. Carves great. I had 6 full days of hard rides on them and looked like new before I sold them.
11 Rome Artifact Rocker 147 / 12 Signal Vita Rocker 147 / 11 Ride Canvas 144 / 13 Union Rosa
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2013 at 8:03pm
my girl is going to be rocking the burton scribe this year, seems very smilar to the lexia beyond the toe cap and highback
for fantastic outdoor deals, checkout:
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/KelvinChung
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/12/2013 at 9:31pm
I've got a pair of girl unions in my garage that are new from last year I can see what they are and post or message you tomorrow if you want don't remember which pair it is same ones I put on my wife's NS lotus not cheap crappy or overly soft ones.
alihockey View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote alihockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2013 at 11:26am
Thanks for both the appropriate and inappropriate comments, helpful and amusing. Unfortunately because of my location I don't know many places that offer demos. I have heard good things about Union bindings in general so I may try those. My friend has Ride bindings, not sure which ones but the top caps never stay on her boot. She always has to stop and adjust them which has kind of put me off of Ride equipment.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2013 at 11:32am
If you can't demo, I'd still recommend going to a shop if you can to have a look at them in person. I was a bit cheeky when I bought my Ride VXNs: I brought my boots into the store to see whether they would fit nicely. They did, which is probably why I have no slippage issues with the cap strap on mine. In my personal opinion I think the Burton cap straps look like they would actually stay on the best. I haven't ridden them or Unions to compare. This is based purely on looks. So if you can go see the bindings in real life it might help you figure out what might work best.
alihockey View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote alihockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2013 at 11:41am
Ya I am probably going to go to a shop nearby and bring my boots and see how the bindings feel.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2013 at 11:47am
^ Wha???? No photo?
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2013 at 11:49am
I have the Flux GM on my NS board  and I am not disappointed at all because it fits perfectly on my youth boots including toe cap and strap.  They're so light weight and comfortable that I picked up a another pair of GU from Flux for my other board.  I have ridden Burton but they didn't fit properly for me especially the slipping toe cap and the strap was so stiff and hard that it kept poking my boot so that was painful and uncomfortable.  I haven't tried Union.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
alihockey View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote alihockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2013 at 12:20pm
You have to earn the photo.
I have never been too keen on Burton, but that being said I have never really given them much of a chance.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2013 at 12:47pm
Originally posted by alihockey

You have to earn the photo.

Sounds like a challenge, what exactly does one have to do to earn a photo?

)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2013 at 12:48pm
may want to throw out what boot you have - stiff boots tend to go with stiff bindings.

I get the hesitation with burton.  The toe straps always use to be an issue for me.  Though the new strap is significantly improved.  I ride the genesis which is the men's version of the escapade 

The lexa that VT linked is definitely a good binding too.

If you want to veer away from Burton, I recommend Rome and Flux as they are my next two favorites and most comfortable I've used.  
x_X
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2013 at 1:32pm
Muse is selling these escapades from a couple years back:

My wife has a pair of these she switches between boards and she digs them very much.  Plus muse has been trying to move them for a while, help her out!

-b
get bent
ShredbettyZoe View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
<3

Quote ShredbettyZoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2013 at 3:53pm
peekaboo.
My top binding picks: Switchback, Flux, Union, Burton, Ride.

Switchbacks <3 are my new love... they're not particularly stiff, but they are so comfy, the most comfortable bindings I think I have ever stepped in. Solid good ride. I would take these over the Flux's and Union's I currently ride. Check their womens model *you can also custom build you own with different options*

Flux GU30's and GU15's ride the same: smooshy, not stiff, still very responsive, comfy, durable, ratchets are no problem, nothing has ever broken on them or come loose, my only wish is that the tray was a tad tighter to the boot... both these models have urethane highbacks though, maybe check the GM binding for extra stiffness as suggested above.

Union's in general are great bindings, durable, good and responsive, good adjustable parts, I have broken 3 pairs of trilogies though, and always had great service from Union (rad company), I keep riding them because I like them, but they have their weak-points too *toe strap*. stay away from the Milan if you want stiff, go higher up their line as suggested, the Legacy or Trilogy would do ya fine.

I would say the Burtons are probably the best bet for stiffness (not overall best comfort), I prefer the straps of other companies, and overall fit of other binding trays - but they are probably the 'stiffest' as suggested - Escapade and Lexa are both solid.

Ride makes some rather stiff bindings in my opinion, I like them, they ride great, but the ratchets are a huge pain... maybe they have improved that this year? That's their major downfall IMO. Dont know which model to suggest but I've ridden a few, all were great (save for that annoying ratchet issue).
alihockey View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote alihockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2013 at 6:29pm
Originally posted by ShredbettyZoe

peekaboo.
My top binding picks: Switchback, Flux, Union, Burton, Ride.
Switchbacks <3 are my new love... they're not particularly stiff, but they are so comfy, the most comfortable bindings I think I have ever stepped in. Solid good ride. I would take these over the Flux's and Union's I currently ride. Check their womens model *you can also custom build you own with different options*
<b style="line-height: 1.4;">Flux<span style="line-height: 1.4;"> GU30's and GU15's ride the same: smooshy, not stiff, still very responsive, comfy, durable, ratchets are no problem, nothing has ever broken on them or come loose, my only wish is that the tray was a tad tighter to the boot... </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">both these models have </span><span style="line-height: 1.4;">urethane</span><span style="line-height: 1.4;"> highbacks though, maybe check the GM binding for extra stiffness as suggested above.</span>
Union's in general are great bindings, durable, good and responsive, good adjustable parts, I have broken 3 pairs of trilogies though, and always had great service from Union (rad company), I keep riding them because I like them, but they have their weak-points too *toe strap*. stay away from the Milan if you want stiff, go higher up their line as suggested, the Legacy or Trilogy would do ya fine.
I would say the Burtons are probably the best bet for stiffness (not overall best comfort), I prefer the straps of other companies, and overall fit of other binding trays - but they are probably the 'stiffest' as suggested - Escapade and Lexa are both solid.
Ride makes some rather stiff bindings in my opinion, I like them, they ride great, but the ratchets are a huge pain... maybe they have improved that this year? That's their major downfall IMO. Dont know which model to suggest but I've ridden a few, all were great (save for that annoying ratchet issue).

This was very helpful! Thank you! Right now I am stuck between the Burton Lexa and the Union Legacy. Since it's not an urgent purchase, I will probably have time to go and try them on with my boots and get somewhat of a feel for them.
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2013 at 6:36pm
holy crap! Zoe lives!!!!!!!!!

on another note, ive always read good things about the lexa and escapades. 

have you tried reading shay's reviews?
--> a girl doing reviews of all kinda product (her own voice)... "shayboarder"-> look her up
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
alihockey View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote alihockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2013 at 7:10pm
^ I have read Shay's reviews, she has done the Escapades but not the Lexa. At this point I am leaning a lot more towards the Lexa (and Legacy's) just because I want that extra response. And I know this is the absolute last thing to consider when buying equipment, but I like the colours better too.
derbytownjoe View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote derbytownjoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2013 at 7:28pm
if you do a search, she reviews the '11 and '12 lexas...... (w/o diggin too far....)
Im Himmel gibt's kein Bier, drum trinken wir es hier.
ShredbettyZoe View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
<3

Quote ShredbettyZoe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2013 at 7:47pm
They're both going to hold you to the board ;) color matters haha
vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/13/2013 at 8:34pm
Oh yea those bindings  have are union trilogy's in black I think I can do 125 on them shipped, they are basically new no signs of use I think they were store display bindings.  
Boarderin View Drop Down
Local
Local
Sella Nevea Italy 2012: I-FREE Finals - Italian Freeride Circuit

Quote Boarderin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2013 at 12:39am
Sorry: double post: my computer is slacking :D
Learn to snowboard. Cuz life's too short to waste it...                  Skiing!!
Boarderin View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Boarderin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/14/2013 at 12:48am
Alihockey, 
what part of NH are you in? 
Maybe I know a shop where you can try out some bindings before you buy... have you talked to any of them yet? 

I am also a freerider and in my opinion, the boots are way more important than the bindings. With our weight we can get away with normal bindings without a real problem actually. I have only ever demoed Flow bindings myself, never liked them personally... The never really felt responsive to me: I wonder if just switching to a normal strap system will give you the stability youre looking for... will be interesting to see what you think!

I am still on an old pair of Ride Sigmas myself right now: I love the strength of the Ride bindings but am not a fan of the wedgie footbed (has a slight angle like a wedge to reduce stress on your knees - good in principle but it doesnt work for me personally which is why i have my old ones still). As Zoe mentioned already, the buckles are the weak link on the Rides, other than that they are very solid if youre going for one of the upper level models. 
If you look at the materials and the construction of the base plate and the chassis of the binding, you can see if its a quality build or not. 
Union is also a, pretty much, indestructible, binding maker: also the Metal chassis like Ride but with better buckles at least. The  Mens Union Forces are solid through and through and in the s/m size, fit our boots too when you crank them down.
One more binding brand that has it figured out is the big B... Burton just makes great bindings. I really like the Malevitas and also have a pair of CO² ESTs... 

If you still feel like you dont have enough stiffness after getting away from the Flows, think really about your boots before you spend too much time on the bindings. So far the only really half way decent freeride boots for women that I have tried myself have been the Burton Qs although I hear that the Salomon Moxie is a good choice (have ordered a pair already to test)... 
Another possible move is to a longer/stiffer board too. We are around the same size it seems (I am a few inches taller). Although you are on the Ice coast and shorter is better for slopestyle etc which is pretty much all you really have in NH to be honest... longer boards are much better for freeriding for real. The shortest board I will ride is a 156 in Backcountry... and I only have mens boards now... I find that the womens boards are much too soft to provide real stability in steep sections or hard pack/tracked out snow etc. I guarantee you that you will feel so much differently on a noodle like the NS. Maybe you can borrow an old/rock board from a buddy to check out the different feel before you start shopping?
Learn to snowboard. Cuz life's too short to waste it...                  Skiing!!
alihockey View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote alihockey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/15/2013 at 6:13am
Absolutely boots are more important than bindings. Mine are old but they're comfortable and they do the trick. Knowing how hard it can be to find the perfect boots, I am going to wait until I feel like mine aren't performing anymore.
I've only ever known Flow bindings, and I have not had a single problem with them. I do feel however, that I have grown past them and I want to get a pair of bindings that will support me as I transition into better backcountry terrain. AKA hopefully next year when I move to either BC or Colorado.
I'm hesitant to say I can't actually demo during the season due to prior commitments. I unfortunately get all of my boarding in near end of season. Although I am happy to say that this will be the last year it's like that.
I won't change from my NS Lotus. I absolutely love her and she helps me ride as smooth, fast, and in control as I ever have.
2zz View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/18/2013 at 11:19am
Between Union and Burton, I'll go with Union (my preference). Union's construction allows their bindings to have a better initial response compare to Burton's. Burton's hinge for adjusting the highback have some play with them, and their baseplate isolates the rider away from feel a tad compare to Unions.
Colors do effect riders too, lol.
11 Rome Artifact Rocker 147 / 12 Signal Vita Rocker 147 / 11 Ride Canvas 144 / 13 Union Rosa
Di View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Di Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/21/2013 at 9:51pm
My Wife rides Escapades http://trusnow.com/Burton-Escapade-Womens-Snowboard-Bindings.asp
She loves them. and never had a problem with they. The only thing is that it seems like they run a tad small.
+1 for Escapades
| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/22/2013 at 9:36am
Originally posted by alihockey

Absolutely boots are more important than bindings. Mine are old but they're comfortable and they do the trick. Knowing how hard it can be to find the perfect boots, I am going to wait until I feel like mine aren't performing anymore.
I've only ever known Flow bindings, and I have not had a single problem with them. I do feel however, that I have grown past them and I want to get a pair of bindings that will support me as I transition into better backcountry terrain. AKA hopefully next year when I move to either BC or Colorado.
I'm hesitant to say I can't actually demo during the season due to prior commitments. I unfortunately get all of my boarding in near end of season. Although I am happy to say that this will be the last year it's like that.
I won't change from my NS Lotus. I absolutely love her and she helps me ride as smooth, fast, and in control as I ever have.

If you get the bug TS has a TON of these Q's left for a steal, my wife is on her second pair and is a fan, she rides them touring and also at the resort.  I have suggested we stock up but she keeps pretending some company is going to come out with better women's freeride boots -- seems to me like the industry keeps going the other direction . . . .

-b
get bent
Boarderin View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Boarderin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/25/2013 at 1:29am
If you get the bug TS has a TON of these Q's left for a steal, my wife is on her second pair and is a fan, she rides them touring and also at the resort.  I have suggested we stock up but she keeps pretending some company is going to come out with better women's freeride boots -- seems to me like the industry keeps going the other direction . . . .

-b

That sounds so familiar :D I actually have just started testing the Salomon Moxie... feels stiffer than the Q so far and has no heel lift which is a bad Burton problem... Im suffering some pressure points though (only rode them 1 day so far) but feels like it might be really solid and Salomon is known for good quality overall. She might check these out too if she wants/needs stiff boots :)
Mandiiella View Drop Down
Local
Local
rr

Quote Mandiiella Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/30/2013 at 5:23pm
K2 yeahyeahs unions
 Post Reply Post Reply