Finding a new board

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
jman91 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Online Status: Offline
  Quote jman91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Finding a new board
    Posted: Dec/18/2013 at 7:25am
its time to get a new board after having my burton air 161 for a couple of years. Im looking for something smaller maybe around 156 that isnt so heavy. Im trying to find something that is more flexible and can go anywhere on the mountain. I want to try to start messing around more. The bindings I have now are missions so ill most likely update to something from last year or this year.
If you are interested in buying a mount snow season pass PM me. I am representing mount snow and selling the season passes for $275. Thats $25 savings plus more great opportunities
aakashsinghal View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote aakashsinghal Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2013 at 7:36am
If you want to experiment, I would either borrow from friends to try a rentals and see what works best. Best way to decide what definitely work with you.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2013 at 11:55am
I dunno about renting a board, mainly because they are often not that nice (at least where I've been).

Friend swapping boards is a great way to try out new sizes and shapes.  It can stink if your bindings are seriously different though (like if you just swap for a run or two 1/2 through a day).

If you are lucky enough to hit a demo day, take full advantage of that.

Sometimes, your local shop has demo boards available for your enjoyment.  

When it comes down to it though... so much of getting a new ride is all about hit and miss. Do your research the best you can, and hope for the best.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
jman91 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote jman91 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2013 at 12:35pm
I was thinking of getting the Burton hero. alot of people like it
If you are interested in buying a mount snow season pass PM me. I am representing mount snow and selling the season passes for $275. Thats $25 savings plus more great opportunities
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/18/2013 at 12:51pm
I agree, check out demo days to demo boards for free or pay a higher price to rent a more premium rental board.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/19/2013 at 7:20am
Salomon's Mans Board, depending on your level of experience. For me, it was the alpha and omega of snowboards... Absolutely amazing and it totally killed it on every type of terrain, except on rails. Check to see if a store can honour a satisfaction guarantee (most shops around me do). If you don't like, you can return it for your money back. I rode the 156 on Union Factory; I weigh 65 kilo with size 10 US boot and it was sheer perfection. It is full camber and is MUCH easier to turn than TheGoodRide would suggest, mostly because of its tighter sidecut. I also did a wicked tail block on the first try at the top of my first run on the board-- it's not stiff, only medium flexing and still remarkably playful. It floats unusually well due to the stretched out and widened nose and tail. The base had a funny slogan as well: "F#*k The Stars, Reach For The Cosmos"

Takanori Hayashi uses the 2013 Man's Board in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2o8zI5ykcb8#t=45
bataleon155 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2013 at 3:59pm
lux, how you like the union factory? compare to the union charger, any significant difference between them (if you have ride both)?
hmmm... Now What???   
Lux View Drop Down
Local
Local
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2013 at 5:27pm
Originally posted by bataleon155

lux, how you like the union factory? compare to the union charger, any significant difference between them (if you have ride both)?
I have not ridden the Union Charger before, but I would imagine that it would be something like an "Atlas 2.0".

First impression on the Factory: more responsive highback, damper ride than the Atlas, and the best ankle strap I have ever used from Union. 

The highback and footbed are contoured differently and make a MUCH more positive contact with my boot than any other Union binding I've used, making it deceptively responsive. The ankle strap is very similar to the Flux SF: tapered and exceptionally padded, almost like wearing a cloud-- very comfortable and no pressure points. I still think the Flux SF is the undisputed king of binding ankle straps, because of its organic contour and unique mounting location, but the Factory's ankle strap is very close to it. The toe strap is your typical Union: junk, as always. The dampening of the new footbed is perfect, damper than the Atlas but retains good board integration... not that obtuse crap on the Contact Pro where you no longer have board feel.

If you want a binding perfectly suited for a no bullshit, full camber, intermediate to expert true twin, then the Factory is an EXCELLENT match. Versus the Flux SF, Union is maybe marginally more suitable for the freestyler who sends it big on the jump line because you get more articulation than the Flux's locked-in-forever feel. The Union Factory even makes their high-scoring Atlas look like a complete waste of time. Get it!

And while you're at it, get a Man's Board too! It's been a week (and 3 ride days) since I've used it and I am still hooked on it. Insane board, I'm telling you dude...

vicente View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote vicente Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/22/2013 at 7:27pm
I've got a pair or chargers and hey are awesome mine are from last year over a full pound lighter then the forces which shouldn't be a deal breaker anyways but it's nice, just kinda a beefier force, like an aggressive binding for fun riding. I have them on my 162 altered genetics (now eo genetics) and it's a truly awesome set up lighter then most mid 150's combinations that come through my shop and responsive enough to ride just about anything but still easy enough to butter and play around on.
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/23/2013 at 8:19pm
if you can get to demo a gnu carbon credit try it out, sounds like it might fit the bill youre looking for, about a lower mid flex board, will definitely be lighter than the burton air. 
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
sleeepili View Drop Down
Local
Local
catching air at bear

Quote sleeepili Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2013 at 12:01pm
the sierra RC is a good transition board if you're switching from traditional camber to RC. It's a good mix between stiffness and being able to hold edge at higher speeds and the flex you might be looking for. Moving further to the soft side, you can try the sierra stunt. Lighter board and will have more flex at both ends; this is also an RC board
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2013 at 12:16pm
hate to say it, but the sierra RC is not what people say it is. wobble in high speed. slow for the base it got (i gave it a hot wax a night before i took it up the mountain, still). to be honest, even the sierrascope perform much better than the SRC (even 3cm shorter than SRC, and yes, i have both). Rode the SRC for a day, can't found a single thing about the board that i would like (and it's heavy with the bindings on, surprisingly). it behind the closet ever since that day. i wish i would have spend the money on something else.
hmmm... Now What???   
humblerooster View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2013 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by bataleon155

hate to say it, but the sierra RC is not what people say it is. wobble in high speed. slow for the base it got (i gave it a hot wax a night before i took it up the mountain, still). to be honest, even the sierrascope perform much better than the SRC (even 3cm shorter than SRC, and yes, i have both). Rode the SRC for a day, can't found a single thing about the board that i would like (and it's heavy with the bindings on, surprisingly). it behind the closet ever since that day. i wish i would have spend the money on something else.

No way?!! I just bought a Sierra RC and I'm really hoping you are very wrong... I love all mountain reverse cambers and I really hope this is the perfect board for me.
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2013 at 1:13pm
i wish i am too, because i bought the board base on the hype reviews it got here. different stroke for different people i guess. the rc is just a basic rc tech when it first came out. some people like them, some don't (sadly i'm one of them). pure rc just doesn't cut it for me, if it that good, i don't see why all brands put the camber back to the rc board in some way/form.

not sure what kind of all mountain RC you had ridden before, but this board really doesn't excel on any aspect beside it loose feeling.

i like my sierrascope and i can't stop saying how good it is compare to the SRC. it's not fair to compare with, but i like 154.5 T.Rice cb2 even more so that i rode it exclusively last season. in pow, groomer, slush it just killed it all. flat and cb2 are great for me. SRC? not too much of my liking as i like going as fast as i can push myself, in pow, between trees and such. like i said before, different stroke for different people.
hmmm... Now What???   
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Dec/24/2013 at 1:17pm
don't worry, it's all preference.  there are no facts about which technologies are "best," or we'd all be riding the same thing.  the point is that there are different options, so in theory everyone will be able to find what works for them.  someone may not like a certain board, but that has zero bearing on how much you will like the same board.
 Post Reply Post Reply