Board set up help

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
thedru13 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote thedru13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Board set up help
    Posted: Feb/03/2014 at 7:31am
Ok been riding for a few years. I have never been able to find any level of comfort. its driving me nuts. going to try and explain it...
My set up...
LibTech Lando 160
Union Atlas Bindings
Nike LunarEndor boots ( I think they are a half size to big so have ordered a 11.5 to see if that helps)

So here is my issue/issues..... I was riding on a much stiffer boot (DC Judge) and had better what i thought control of the board. Had a ton of foot pain so went with a different boot.   this was in about 6 inches of fresh powder. I was able to ollie and jump and control the board. I had my angles at 16 and -14 regular stance.

Last week I rode all week in much different conditions Very icy and hard pack. Had some boot fitment issues might have a bit to much room in my boot.

The snow was a lot faster and board was quick. I felt like my feet were fighting each other on the board. If that makes sense. Like I wanted to move my angles on the board while riding. I had to ride a lot more aggressive due to the conditions to get the board to bite down into the icy conditions. felt like i was whipping the back of the board around. Like my right foot was kicking out and i was over rotating the board. I changed my right foot angle to -2 to see if that would reduce it. It helped a bit but i was not comfortable doing any ollie or jumps on the board and just felt very uneasy.

Not sure if anyone could answer or chime in on this or if it even makes sense but man I felt like a complete N00b again on my board. I was falling and falling hard. I just could not get comfortable on the board at all.

Should I set it up differently? My feet felt very tired like i was working to hard with my feet. Will different angles help me to resolve some of this?

I am open to any suggestions. Thanks for any help..   

markyjas View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote markyjas Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2014 at 1:56pm
Not going to try to give you a perfect answer here because I think you may just need to try a few different things out and see what feels right.  In my experience, those angles are a bit on the higher end.  I personally ride 9/-9 or 12/-12.  Another thing I notice is changing the highback adjustment angle on one or both bindings can make a big difference in my riding position and balance.  But when you make changes, make them gradually so that it doesn't really throw you off.

That said, conditions make a big difference too.  Maybe it just wasn't your day.
humblerooster View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote humblerooster Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2014 at 2:29pm
I ride 15/-15. I've noticed it helps me with rotations and switch riding is a lot easier. But everyone is different so try a lot of different ways out.
MikeD13559 View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2014 at 3:12pm
  It could be more of an issue with your stance width than your binding angles.  You might not be riding a wide enough stance.  Wider than shoulder width to start (not just shoulder width) so you have a nice wide and stable base which will lower your center of gravity making you less 'tippy'. This also gives you more leverage over the board (as well as putting you into a proper riding stance).  I see ppl riding narrow stances and struggling to turn or carve and they end up sliding the tail of their board back and forth rather than using their downhill foot to initiate the turns.  They can't bend their knees because the narrow stance won't allow them to do so.  It could be as simple as widening your stance a little, or a lot.
Hope this helps figure your dilemma out!
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
Lux View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Two-hand tail block

Quote Lux Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2014 at 3:37pm
I strongly echo MikeD13559's advice. Adjust your binding width to be further apart first, then consider the angles afterwards. Day and night difference when I tried my friend's Parkitect with such a narrow stance. One run on that setup and I was feeling a lot of foot pain, myself.
thedru13 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote thedru13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2014 at 4:37pm
Thanks gang.. After doing a ton of reading I think you guys hit the nail on the head. So my stance width is 21.5. I am 6'2 around 205.. I feel uncomfortable bending my knees or getting into that stance. I will go a bit wider and see if that helps get a natural bend at the knee. Now I just need to get out there and try it out.. Really appreciate the input..
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2014 at 7:36pm
it's not that 21.5 is super narrow or anything (not wide at all either, we can agree on that), but at 6'2 and 205, I can imagine it could be easier to feel tippy and not as solid as you'd hope.  I'd agree on pushing your stance out a bit, to start.  probably would be good to go gradual and add an inch at first, and go from there.

there are no stance rules, and in fact I find real carving/turning much more fluid and "efficient" (so to speak) with a medium to narrower stance, and also find it easier to bend my legs without a wide stance, but everyone is different.

I am 5'11 & 145lbs and ride the same setup, except my phoenix is this year's regular camber 160 instead of C2.. had a lando C2 160 a few years ago though.  love the phoenix in general... probably one of my favorite shapes and boards of all time.  anyway, I'm at 22", just for some overall comparison since we are essentially on the same board besides the profile.  to me, this stance feels natural and neutral for my body and legs.. not wide, not narrow.  I've gone everywhere between 20.5 and 25.5 in the last 5 years.  it's good to experiment and try going further in each direction, because you get a good frame of reference for what works best for you personally.
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2014 at 9:22pm
I think besides leg length and overall height, ppls shoulder and hip width is also a factor in what is a good/ comfortable for a stance width for them.  I'm 5'10, but I have big shoulders (46") and kinda wide hips as well.  I ride a 24.5" stance. Which is def wide.  I can't do the back leg knee dip/ bend move and feel in control.  It's just awkward for me.  Anything under 24" and I feel like I'm just going to tip right over. 
So, your anatomy and physiology is going to play the biggest role in what feels good for you.  And like Spenser said everyone is different.   It's prob going to take some messing around and tweaking to get your stance comfy.  Setting your stance width and a little carpet boarding to see how it feels before you hit the slopes can def help you get it closer to what will be your 'ideal' stance.  If it's too dang wide you will know pretty quickly as it will put some strain on the inside of your knees when you bend them.
I don't think I'm bad... I don't box, no karate... just here to make friends with everybody
spenser View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote spenser Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/03/2014 at 10:19pm
^ more good points from mike

Originally posted by MikeD13559

I have big shoulders (46")

your shoulders are almost four feet wide?
ctoma View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote ctoma Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2014 at 7:20am
Originally posted by spenser

I have been riding with Mike and vouch for his wide shoulders.  I probably would have estimated 48-50".  Wide hips, too, if he was a woman he would be able to spit out babies without any effort or pushing...  lol...

He's probably measuring all the way around his shoulders (girth) rather than just across the back (width), not sure if that makes sense.
thedru13 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote thedru13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2014 at 8:50am
Again thanks for the info. I was messing around with my board last night. I just need to get out of my head i think. I can't seem to find the sweet spot. I went to 23 then to 24.5 felt some pressure on both. So not sure where I will be comfy. Also now have to adjust my foot angles for going wider. I am older to which doesn't help. 40 ... But I am very athletic. I also have big shoulders but not a big waist. I was a body builder years ago so a bit less bulky now.

I just need to try a few different spots but going to mount my bindings differently. I am going to put the base plates sideways to get a bit better width adjustment and keep the bindings center on the board.   Before I got the Lando I rode a Burton Un INC. I did love that board as well as the EST system. Much easier to adjust on the fly. The Lando rides completely different and I carve much better on this than my burton.

| | | bryman | | | View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
panic lounge

Quote | | | bryman | | | Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2014 at 10:31am
^^^ I know the tired/painful foot feeling, and the answer is to RIDE MORE.  Get those feet in shape and you'll be feeling better for shure

Smile

-b
get bent
2zz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2014 at 12:51pm
Don't forget to adjust the forward lean on the highback of your bindings.
Try this...
While bare footed and relax your ankles. Check the angles your feet are at with narrow stance. Now, go to your wider stance and see how the angles of your feet change. Your binding angle should change accordingly to he change of the width of your stance.
My buddy's size is very similar. Not narrow nor wide stance, angles at 12/-15. But that's his preference, but give it a try.
11 Rome Artifact Rocker 147 / 12 Signal Vita Rocker 147 / 11 Ride Canvas 144 / 12 CAPiTA Space Metal Fantasy 147 / 13 Union Rosa / 12 Burton Cartel Restricted.
bataleon155 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/13/2014 at 2:18pm
don't do the above method bare footed. put on your boots and measure instead. been there done that, ended up with total different angle between the two measurements. 
hmmm... Now What???   
thedru13 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote thedru13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/17/2014 at 1:34pm
So Made some adjustments..  Went with a 23.5 wide stance.  Rode and it felt ok..  Still not feeling comfortable in the squat..  So bumped my front foot ankle out to 25 and put the rear at 9.  Was able to bend a bit better but still just not feeling right.  

I adjusted the angle of my high back to be straight with the board or as close as I could get it.  I am getting a bit of a pressure point on my ankle strap in my boot.  Think I was strapping in to tight.  I went riding again and everyone is still telling me I look like a stiff board when I ride.  I don't get it.  I feel like I am bending and doing what I should be but people are telling me I am not squattingenough.  Look way to stiff and straight legged.  :-( 
JBburton 18 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/18/2014 at 8:38am
forward lean helped me a lot with getting lower or in an "athletic position" as some people call it.  I usually crank that shit up now and never looked back since I first tried it.  

I would say slowly adjust it until you find something comfortable.  Big changes in forward lean make quite a noticeable difference in my opinion.

shredBATALEON: (4:06 PM) dude jb your being such a dutch bag man
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote MikeD13559 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2014 at 8:29pm
Originally posted by spenser

suit/ sport coat measurement at shoulders. I should have clarified.  LOL
bataleon155 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote bataleon155 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/02/2014 at 10:39pm
i will say put your front foot angle back under 21, and your back foot to 12 or little higher. because you put more stress on your front knee when you squat with those 25/9 angle.

try to measure your stance width instead of shooting in the dark with it. all you have to do is stand about or little wider than your shoulder width. then bend your knees a little and relax at your comfort. you should able to find a sweet spot that you can bend your knees (drop your body an inch or two, that's how you should be riding anyway) without any uncomfortable on your legs. and measure the distance between the center of your both feet.

after you get that, have fun and play with the angles on the mountain.
hmmm... Now What???   
2zz View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote 2zz Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/04/2014 at 2:52pm
So are your boots centered in relation to the board when is strapped in? The bindings maybe centered but your boots might not be. Double checked that if you haven't done so. You don't need to put the boots on, just strap in the boots into your bindings screwed in the board and see if the toe and heel overhangs are equal. Once the boots seem centered, strap yourself in. Now bend your knees a little like you're riding, and see if it takes the same effort to lift toe and heel edge to about the same height. If you feel lifting either edge to about the same height feels about the same and you're not losing your balance, is centered.
25/-9 is really bias. I will suggest 18/-12 for now or 15/-9.
When you ride, do you put more pressure on your back leg? If so, you need to apply even pressure to both legs. Don't seat on the back leg. Your shoulders should be parallel to the slope. You should be able to apply a little more pressure to the front leg with no problem.
Forward lean should help you bend your knees just enough automatically. I use about 2-3 clicks from 0 lean depending on condition.
Stance width...my buddy is 6ft 200lbs at about 23.5-24.5 inches.

All of the adjustments above are all preference orientated, just work on the fundamentals of riding and have fun. You'll get comfy soon enough.

Hope I can help. Good luck
11 Rome Artifact Rocker 147 / 12 Signal Vita Rocker 147 / 11 Ride Canvas 144 / 12 CAPiTA Space Metal Fantasy 147 / 13 Union Rosa / 12 Burton Cartel Restricted.
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2014 at 6:14pm
So this year I narrowed my stance width... a lot!  And a lot of my old foot pain that the peeps on TruSnow have seen me bitch about for years went away.

Old: 21.5-22ish. New 19.5-19.75.  Same angles (12, -9), same boots, same bindings. 
Now, i do feel a bit more poppy and not as stable, but I feel more aggressive and quicker at the same time, so mas o' menos.

I'm also thinking about getting canted footbeds in my next bindings to help even more.  

I saw this tip somewhere (maybe TransworldSnow?):  For a starting stance width, without shoes on, take a knee.  Now, measure from the ground to the top of your flexed knee (kneecap or so)... that is about your starting stance width.  for my stubby legs, that gave me 19.5.
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
 Post Reply Post Reply