Help with riding and board choice

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Online Status: Offline
  Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Help with riding and board choice
    Posted: Apr/25/2014 at 2:26am
Hey guys,
So i wanted to ask a few questions with how to improve on riding and a board choice to suit me! :D
Just a heads up that i'm not the best at explaining thing. So sorry and thank you in advance. 

I've been boarding for a few years on and off now (taking time off work is hard) and probably have only 20 days of riding under my belt in 4 years. I'm 188cm and around 68kg, size 11.5 boots riding 15/12 for stance on my Flow Verve 154cm W (Rome 390 Boss bindings). I can hit up Green and Blue runs over in South New Zealand comfortably, no carving but i believe its solid riding with some good turns and control. I've been picking up my speed in the last trip but no where as quick as regular riders and getting solid control over switch riding.
I found myself loving to ride natural terrain tracks especially with loads of bumps. I've started to hit up rails and jibs and also a few smaller kickers.

Now, with my riding i've found that higher speeds, my board seems to rattle a noticeable amount and I have to put a bit more effort into holding lines and initiating turns, flailing my back arm at times (i know, super uncool...). any tips on how to keep better control at higher speeds and flailing my back hand a little less? or is it just a practice and confidence thing? 
When starting off on kickers, should I pop off it with an ollie or simply pushing my weight up off the lip? Also with my landings, i seem to only stick half of them. Not sure what I am doing wrong (and i know its a bit hard to advise without seeing footage) but should i be landing flat to the landing or with slightly more weight to the back foot?

Lastly, is the board suited for what I am doing/enjoying? I really like the Flow verve but i wouldn't mind buying another board.
Any recommendations? 

Thanks guys. 
If only Queensland had snow...
AJD13 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Cannon. on the ground nothing new!

Quote AJD13 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/25/2014 at 11:10am
off of my personal experience i would get a gnu carbon credit, its a very forgiving board its helped me up my riding to a new level. I was previously at your stage at the beginning of the season, then i switched to the carbon credit, and im in love with it. IMO you just need to slow down and work on carving, once you can carve things really fall into place.
It comes and it goes, get it while it lasts.
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2014 at 12:17pm
All I can say is that in general if you are looking to progress at both switch and regular then a mid flex true twin is a good choice. This did a lot for my free-style progression, but I was riding a 161 charger directional and I am only 5'9" and about 155 and I went down to the 155 to 157 twin range.

As far as carving goes it is really not feasible to give instruction by text in my opinion.  I would look to get a lesson from someone who comes highly recommended.  I took a few lessons well into being a proficient rider and it really paid off...just my 2cents.
JBburton 18 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote JBburton 18 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/26/2014 at 7:33pm
Originally posted by shwazy

As far as carving goes it is really not feasible to give instruction by text in my opinion.  I would look to get a lesson from someone who comes highly recommended.  I took a few lessons well into being a proficient rider and it really paid off...just my 2cents.

hit the nail on the head
shredBATALEON: (4:06 PM) dude jb your being such a dutch bag man
fj5 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Fly DC!

Quote fj5 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2014 at 3:00am
Waddap man! Great to hear of your progression still.  Yeah, it's pretty hard to get more days on the hill when work keeps you busy.  Having said that, I found that frequent visits (not to spaced apart) are what helped me progress a lot faster as a rider in the last couple years.  

I think it may be time to start working on your carving.  It really forces you to focus on your core and board control.  I find that you will build more awareness and quicker response times when adjusting to terrain as well.  For training, I've tried to force my arms to stay closer to my body keeping my hands near my waist when cruising on greens or blues.  Same goes for switch.  Unfortunately, I don't get much practice carving on blacks here in southern Ontario.  

As for taking off on jumps, it really depends on the jump itself and your speed.  Sometimes you don't need to pop off if your speed is fast enough and the landing isn't too far.  But if you don't have enough distance to build speed and clear the landing, then you would need to pop.  You kinda just need to adjust.  I'll usually try to straight air with a little ollie when trying a jump for the first time and then make my adjustments.  I find that with higher entry speeds and bigger jumps, I ollie less or not at all.

With landings, if you're going straight air (perhaps a grab) but no rotations, then you definitely want to land flat base (as opposed to on an edge).  It's never a good idea to land too far on the backseat (tail).  You generally want to try to land flatter so you might want to lean forward a bit.  Not too much though, or you might roll over your nose.  I find that if you're trying rotations, then you will land with more weight on one edge.

I looked up the Flow Verve and noticed it's a soft flex rocker board.  It's probably quite fun to jib on that thing and play around on the ground.  I used to ride a similar board but found that as I progressed, I went back to traditional camber and a stiffer flex, and preferred it a lot more when carving.  I'm around 5'8" (172cm) and 160 lbs (73 kg) and I really love my DC Ply 150.5, which is pretty short compared to my earlier boards at 155 and 157.  It's super playful and super light but can still hold a nice carve.  I use the reference stance at 23.5".  You're pretty tall for your weight so I don't really know what length is best for you.  I guess you can compare our stances for reference?  The Ply is relatively lower priced with its extruded base but I find it's definitely great bang for your buck.  If you want to spend more money, the DC Mega would be stiffer, more aggressive, and has a sintered base.

I hope that helps. :)  Good luck man!  Have fun!
Check out my channel & SUBSCRIBE! www.youtube.com/fj5
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/27/2014 at 11:44am
Maybe it's just me but I think I would rather see you learn to carve before hitting the park.  I see that now you do have more confidence in your riding so learning to carve won't be as frightful because confidence is key in learning.  
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2014 at 4:56pm
Yer I get a lesson or 2, first up on my first day back usually.
Cheers for the tips, yer I've never really looked into carving as I love speeding down at the moment. But definitely should this time.

I was recommended the Ply in stores as well. Will look into it!
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/29/2014 at 8:01pm
Yer I get a lesson or 2, first up on my first day back usually.
Cheers for the tips, yer I've never really looked into carving as I love speeding down at the moment. But definitely should this time.

I was recommended the Ply in stores as well. Will look into it!
)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/30/2014 at 6:33am
What you will find when you ask these questions is that everyone has an opinion and everyone has a preference.  The board shouldn't be a major decision factor, technology has come a long way and there are many advantages to many boards.  I know people who swear their board made all the difference, I greatly enjoy what I ride but it's not for everyone.  

You can watch some youtube vids that will give you an idea of what people are teaching Doug Fagel has a couple good ones for some of the early on basics.  I believe they are still here on the website.

Play in the park all you want, just be mindful of those around you.  You do not have to be proficient at carving and switch to go into the park, it will just help you as you progress.  Try and get a 2-3 days in a row of riding in, that will help more than most things combined.  Riding once then not again for a month or two will be very similar to your first day every day.

Keep it up and enjoy your upcoming winter!
x_X
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2014 at 2:16am
Thanks )(nfinit)(. Yer well aware of the different opinion out there. :) just wanted to see the general view of other people out there. I just don't have the privilege of any board test days or try before you buy kind of options. 

Yep, seen all of Dougs vids from ages ago. :) very helpful and its what taught me originally on how to snowboard. 
Yer I can only get in a few days of boarding per year as i live up in brisbane in aus where its hot 24/7, 365days a year. haha. No chance of snow here and Perisher is a good 10+ hours drive away, so i can only go on holidays to get my boarding in. 
I'll hopefully be boarding everyday on my 11(ish)days holiday in NZ this year. The first 2 days is always catching back up on last seasons skill level thou. haha. 
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2014 at 3:49am
Get a monthly subscription to Snowboard Addiction. They now have videos about general riding stance and carving in addition to the park stuff. The SA videos are longer and better quality than the typical youtube videos and the explanations are better. Combine that with a few lessons and regular riding and you'll start to put it all together.  
Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/01/2014 at 11:20am
Originally posted by belleayre

Get a monthly subscription to Snowboard Addiction. They now have videos about general riding stance and carving in addition to the park stuff. The SA videos are longer and better quality than the typical youtube videos and the explanations are better. Combine that with a few lessons and regular riding and you'll start to put it all together.  

Or you can check out Jed from Snomie.com, he has a lot of newbie tutorials and likes to go into correct techniques and most common errors.  He's also friends with Nev from Snowboard Addiction and his guides are mostly free and even his subscription is only a cheap one time fee for lifetime tutorial videos.  
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/02/2014 at 1:52am
Originally posted by belleayre

Thats the part i really struggle with. i think if i got even just a few more days in a season i would be much better. Just have to finish up my 4 year apprenticeship as an electrician then i'm moving to Canada! well thats the plan. 
Thanks for the tip, will look it up. And thanks Angry.
 Post Reply Post Reply