Website Improvements

Share/Save/Bookmark Page  12>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
tjlarson90 View Drop Down
TRU Staff.
TRU Staff.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote tjlarson90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Website Improvements
    Posted: Jun/03/2014 at 9:28am
Hey Everyone,

The crew here at TruSnow is getting ready to make some long overdue improvements to the design and functionality of our beloved site. 

Let us know anything you'd like to see changed and we can work together to take our site to the next level.
sideways99 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2014 at 10:10am
1) Uploading photos works about 10% of the time
2) Still get error messages when attempting to post (SQL Server query timeout error, see below, it happened to this post)
3) Find a way to permanently block spammers

There's more but I'm having a brain fart right now...

Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'

Query timeout expired

/forum/functions/functions_common.asp, line 904

Angry Midget Yo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2014 at 3:04pm
Originally posted by sideways99

2) Still get error messages when attempting to post (SQL Server query timeout error, see below, it happened to this post)

Query timeout expired

All this, plus the search feature.
Sessions sucks hairy monkey balls, the end.
Migoo View Drop Down
Local
Local
Heaven

Quote Migoo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/03/2014 at 8:04pm
Originally posted by Angry Midget Yo

Query timeout expired

All this, plus the search feature.

x 2 for me. I've never had much success with searching. Numbers 2 & 3 would be my priorities. look forward to the revamp.
)(nfinit)( View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2014 at 5:26am
videos/articles seem to be a common posting ground for spammers, need a way to delete posts from those areas so people can comment if they choose, versus reading through 800 louis vuitton handbag sales.

not entirely sure why we have an "out of stock" search tab in the google search, maybe for historical purposes?

links at the bottom of the page, especially the customer service ones could use an update

member points still confuse some people, more clearly define rewards and discounts (i.e. a 10% member discount does not extend to every item on the website due to contract constraints..etc, etc.)

and thanks for updating things here, it really is much appreciated!

x_X
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2014 at 8:10am
Of course you would mention the spammers. LOL
Seriously, the spammers gotta go.
Add the ability to include video/photos of reviews.
Change up the contest. Make it more than just a giveaway to get people active and generate some content.
Clean out the old, outdated blog posts.
Improve the site search.
Dynamic resolution.
Cross platform compatibility.
Multilingual support.
Revamp or get rid of the points system. Define it better.
Update, outdated banners. ie. "Daily Giveaway."
Allow people to boost/bury posts with "karma" or something.
I'll think of more.
TRU Staff.
TRU Staff.

Quote tjlarson90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2014 at 9:13am
Thanks for all the input guys. Keep it coming! We've got lots to tackle around here, and now's the time.
thrilla View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thrilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2014 at 2:54pm
By website improvements, are we talking about everything or just the forum?  

The General Chat seems kinda glitchy, it frequently blanks out or freezes.
thrilla View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thrilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/04/2014 at 2:57pm
Speaking of improvements, I just got the above mentioned 

"Microsoft OLE DB Provider for SQL Server error '80004005'

Query timeout expired

/forum/functions/functions_common.asp, line 904" 

error when posting again.  Tongue

Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2014 at 7:16am
Yeah, that happened to me as well. It posted what I posted, but it didn't update the homepage feed with my post. It does that randomly.
Oh, another suggestion...
FIX THE GLITCHY AVATARS, PLEASE!

Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2014 at 7:17am
Also, for the people with Mod powers, to mod the comment areas of blogs. That's a spammer issue.
TRU Staff.
TRU Staff.

Quote tjlarson90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2014 at 8:35am
Originally posted by thrilla

By website improvements, are we talking about everything or just the forum? 

We're looking at the whole site, but we definitely want to get the forum working better for everybody as a top priority. 
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2014 at 5:17pm
Social media integration.
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/05/2014 at 6:11pm
Originally posted by VermontRider

Of course you would mention the spammers. LOL
Seriously, the spammers gotta go.

Of course I have to mention the spammers... spammer patrol is what I do!  Seriously, I wish I had the ability to block spammers.

Lots of great ideas posted here which means lots of ASP .Net development, eh?

+1 to making the Search feature actually work properly.
+1 to adding videos/photos to reviews, I really like that idea.
+100 to allowing people to boost/bury posts using some form of "karma points" or something similar - really like that idea.

koji3 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote koji3 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2014 at 12:54am
-Proper descriptions and specs for every item. 
What you have currently is close to pathetic for most items. Plus the double up of items annoys the crap out of me. 
-More filter options when buying/searching for items. 
like board category, if its able to be internationally shipped etc. 
-fix the posting bug (as mentioned above) 
-proper bumping to 'recent topic posts' when a comment is made. it doesn't like to bump when you quote people.  
-easier pic and video upload to forums (embed etc)
If only Queensland had snow...
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2014 at 2:24pm
How about wiping out the spammer bullshit on )(nfinit)('s Expert Member Profile?  And preventing new spammer bullshit on )(nfinit)('s page?

thrilla View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote thrilla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2014 at 2:36pm
Wow, 9728 comments on that profile.  How does something like that even happen?
lightning80 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote lightning80 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/06/2014 at 2:50pm
- Better description of children's clothing and gear. Many times I don't know if I'm looking at kids sizes or not.
- Better description of the model year of gear.
- A search function that actually works.
- Giveaways that favor (i.e. more entries in the random drawing) useful and active members, to encourage traffic-generating posts/content. Members that are only log in for giveaways or those that post junk get less chances to win.
- Fix the "stay logged in" option. Even when unclicked, I stay logged in after restarting the computer after a few days.
keljai View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote keljai Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/07/2014 at 6:26am
linking of GIF is ambiguious on how to do it.
for fantastic outdoor deals, checkout:
https://www.theclymb.com/invite-from/KelvinChung
Von44 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Von44 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/08/2014 at 10:46pm
Photo uploading and the error messages are my main beef with this site. And bring back the "daily giveaways" not the "every other day giveaways".
Byyyyaaaaaahh!!!
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/09/2014 at 2:29pm
Better description and specs is a big yes because sometimes you would find an item with literally no details about it.
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/11/2014 at 6:11am
Originally posted by thrilla

Wow, 9728 comments on that profile.  How does something like that even happen?
 I am popular....but only with the fake handbag people.  

not to through people a curveball, but more skiing support and description would also be nice.  We have a ton of snowboard expertise, but little skiing...I mean this from a forum/shopping standpoint, not on the snow.  Maybe combining the forums so gear talk can correspond to both, instead of having such separate locations for potential customers to ask questions.
x_X
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2014 at 5:54am
How about deleting obvious spam posts instead of marking them spam? Ability to upvote posts would also help. 
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2014 at 6:39am
That's a result of the points fiasco. Different people have different powers. Expert members and regular members can mark spam. Only mods can remove it. If it was marked as spam it usually wasn't actually spam, just someone point whoring.
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/13/2014 at 2:49pm
Well perhaps a reddit type vote system would take care of that. In some cases posts go through without attachments due to the rather clunky system and get marked as spam. I think it just turns people off and there aren't many legitimate posters here anymore.
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/16/2014 at 8:04am
another item I had forgotten about, maybe we can improve the little know mobile site?

trusnow.com/mobile  

I use this for chat on my phone, but it would be nice to have more options than just chat and the daily giveaway...like shopping.  Or maybe there is an app for that.
x_X
TRU Staff.
TRU Staff.

Quote tjlarson90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2014 at 2:42pm

It looks like we were able to take care of the biggest spam offender. Sorry for anyone trying to pick up a knock off Louis Vuitton. Deleting all the bogus posts should help with the time out issue too. )(nfinit)(, your profile should be back under control now as well!

Take a look around to see if there is any garbage left that we might have missed.

Cheers!

Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/20/2014 at 2:57pm
Using Chrome the format of the main Community page got cramped, the right panel (Today's Giveaway, TruSnow Videos, etc.) is squeezing the middle panel (Recent Community Activity).
belleayre View Drop Down
Local
Local
My son 2010

Quote belleayre Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/21/2014 at 7:02pm
Yes, that looks kind of wacky and used to be the main way I scanned for new posts.
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/23/2014 at 5:09am
they are back at it under my profile, but at least it's within reason!  Things are definitely looking better.
x_X
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/25/2014 at 4:04pm
The Community section's layout is all out of wack.
classic_ben View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
It's a sign

Quote classic_ben Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/26/2014 at 6:01am
When you click the + or - buttons on a review in the AJAX wall, it takes you to a blank page (but the things others have mentioned are far more important)
Search the SierraSnowboard.Com Forums at:

http://tinyurl.com/sierraforumbygoogle

<Fine Tuning to Come>
little s08 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote little s08 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/03/2014 at 11:02am
I would like to see better gear description and product year.  
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2014 at 7:50am
The giveaway video seems to work about half the time.

Also, I'd focus on building out a mobile site that is as good as the main site, with the same functionality.

Perhaps the giveaway video can be put on the mobile site (or as an App) with an alarm to tell you to view it. That way, you'd get a ton of users coming at 3pm every day from all devices.
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/09/2014 at 5:28pm
When you hit the community tab, instead of seeing the latest posts, there's a big empty space making you have to scroll down to view the new posts now.  
namsapalooza View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote namsapalooza Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2014 at 1:29am

When you hit the community tab, instead of seeing the latest posts, there's a big empty space making you have to scroll down to view the new posts now.  

This. Seems like things are breaking even more rather than "improving"
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2014 at 4:27am
^ True that.  On some forum pages I am getting a popup error stating:  Stack overflow at line: 0
TRU Staff.
TRU Staff.

Quote tjlarson90 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/10/2014 at 3:39pm
Originally posted by namsapalooza

Seems like things are breaking even more rather than "improving"

Turns out you really do have to break some eggs to make a tasty CSS omelette. Bare with us gents. We're getting a new dev of the site set up soon so we'll be able to better workshop these annoying display issues and roll them out more quickly.

We really appreciate all your comments. You guys are the best help we've got!
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2014 at 12:42pm
Keep it up TJ!
Allieng View Drop Down
TRU Staff.
TRU Staff.

Quote Allieng Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/11/2014 at 3:07pm
Hack yeah Tyler!!!
Instructor
Instructor

Quote sideways99 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/13/2014 at 9:46am

My observations.... If you use full or maximum screen the Community page looks normal (at least it looks normal on a 22" monitor).  When you use a sized or partial screen size the layout of the Community page gets cramped and the right pane (Last Giveaway, TruSnow videos, Gear Articles, etc.) pushes the center pane (Recent Community Activity) down.
Expert Members
Expert Members
ht sunset

Quote )(nfinit)( Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2014 at 5:11am
since the website was not an original TS creation, I can only imagine the difficulties involved in fixing it...I am just happy that there is progress!

x_X
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/14/2014 at 10:54am

My observations.... If you use full or maximum screen the Community page looks normal (at least it looks normal on a 22" monitor).  When you use a sized or partial screen size the layout of the Community page gets cramped and the right pane (Last Giveaway, TruSnow videos, Gear Articles, etc.) pushes the center pane (Recent Community Activity) down.

Oh I see, but it used to be able to view just fine.  
HAVEN2135 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote HAVEN2135 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/15/2014 at 6:38am
I know rebuilding of a site this big will take a while, but is there a timeline in place? Also maybe deleting threads that have not been used in over a year, to help consolidate the forums and the search tool. 
barnyard View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Banana

Quote barnyard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2014 at 12:18am
Put up a bug filing section where we can list everything that is wrong.  Give points for each bug that gets squashed!
Lib Tech Skate Banana 159 (2007/2008) w/ Burton CO2 bindings (2007/2008) ; Sierra Reverse Crew 162 (2010) w/ Rome 390 Boss bindings (2010/2011)
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2014 at 2:04pm
I'm getting this one:

Active Server Pages error 'ASP 0113'

Script timed out

/forum/new_post.asp

The maximum amount of time for a script to execute was exceeded. You can change this limit by specifying a new value for the property Server.ScriptTimeout or by changing the value in the IIS administration tools.

But posts seem to be going through still, and even going to the top of the main page like they're supposed to.

Keep at it guys Big smile
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2014 at 2:18pm
Posting is getting really slow again and usually ends in some kind of error.  
JDiggidy View Drop Down
Local
Local
October shred

Quote JDiggidy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/17/2014 at 12:15pm
What was kind of funny, that post of mine yesterday was the only one that didn't get the error message. LOL
2010-11 Gnu Danny Kass C2BTX, 2011-12 Union Atlas, 2012-13 Salomon Synapse & a 12-13 Thrive Renegade for kicks
Instructor
Instructor
Tailpress at Mammoth!

Quote Angry Midget Yo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2014 at 8:24pm
And it's the only post that mattered.  LOL
shwazy View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote shwazy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/18/2014 at 8:26pm
Obviously the painfully slow loading and timeouts are in desperate need of fixing.
High priority is the filters on pages for narrowing down product options does not work.
Merging of like products...i.e remove duplicates

And please do NOT ditch the point system :)
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>