Quick Login: Forgot password?

Binding adjustment

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
hoon View Drop Down
Guest Gear Expert

Online Status: Offline
  Quote hoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Binding adjustment
    Posted: Jan/16/2007 at 4:23pm
i wrote this up for someone. hope it helps. wrote it for Burton bindings, but it works pretty much for all bindings.

first thing i do is take the bindings outta the box and check the toe straps and ankle straps for basic fit with my boots. then if it's a Burton, adjust the gas pedal/toe ramp to your preferred set up (check the instructions that came with the bindings for more details).

then once that is all set, i mount em on my board at the right spots, angles, etc. i use a tape measure to check the stance width. going from the middle of the disc to the middle of the disc.

when mounting i try to center them on the board. adjusting the disc as need be. whether horizontal or vertical disc mounting.

next step, loosen the highback bolts at the bottom of the base plates. muscle the highbacks around left to right or right to left until the highbacks are parallel with the heelside edge. (or as close as you can get)

last step, adjust your forward lean to your preference.

after that is all set, throw the boots back in and see how they fit. if you cranked your forward lean, you'll have to really wedge the boots in (consider putting them on and jumping in them). check the straps. you may need to adjust the length of the straps and possibly the position of the ankle straps. you want them going ideally straight across the point where your ankle flexes.
2010? More Like 1910
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/17/2007 at 4:51am
hey hoon, maybe u might be able to help me..

my gf got the Burton lexas and she's been having problems with the bindings. she's got a size 6.5 emeralds and size medium lexas. The problem she is having is that the cap strap ratchet does not sit flush on the toe ladder. The ratchet is angled so only half of it is grabbing onto the toe ladder. The problem with this is, as you try to tighten the cap strap, it tries to grab the toe ladder but it just keeps chipping away at the plastic toe ladder. You can push the ratchet down with ur hand to make it flush with the toe ladder in order to get the cap strap tighter, but as she rides, the strap gets loose on the mountain. Took it to Burton HQ when we went up there 2 weeks ago, and they had 4 Burton techies look at it and wasn't really sure why it was doing that. the manager gave us a temporary toe ladder replacement, and another guy said it was the gas pedal/toe ramp, but i don't see the correlation of the cap strap to the gas pedal/toe ramp. one thing i noticed on the lexas is that it doesn't have that piece of metal that guides the ratchet on the toe ladder, like the heel strap has. i checked other lexas and they are all made like that. any ideas?
hoon View Drop Down
Guest Gear Expert

Quote hoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2007 at 10:21am
did you swap the capstrap side plastic part (sorry don't know the technical term)? try putting the left one upside down on the right one and the right one upside down on the left one. (sorry i am bad at visualizing and turning it into words).

my toe strap ratchets don't have that guide. did they give you new ratchets to try?

basically what you are trying to do is change the angle of the capstrap by taking the strap part of it that is normally shaped like this:

XXXXX
xxxXXXX

and turning it to look like this:

XXXXXXX
             XXXXX

i hope that makes some sense.

Edited by hoon - Jan/19/2007 at 10:22am
2010? More Like 1910
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2007 at 2:08pm
derf? haha..Confused sorry hoon.. i didn't quite understand that...

they just gave her a new toe ladder.. we're gonna test it out again tomorrow and i'm gonna look at it while she's riding to see if it looks like the ratchet starts to angle again.

Edited by Nu-Nu - Jan/19/2007 at 2:08pm
hoon View Drop Down
Guest Gear Expert

Quote hoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/19/2007 at 2:26pm
hope this helps make it clearer....

2010? More Like 1910
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/22/2007 at 10:57am
ahh, i was thinking u meant something like that but it looked weird when i looked at the actual capstrap..  her bindings held up this past weekend after we got the new toe ladder replacement but if it starts getting loose again, i'll try reversing the cap strap.
hoon View Drop Down
Guest Gear Expert

Quote hoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2007 at 10:24am
keep me in the loop. she may also need the upgraded capstraps with the nice grip fit in the inside.
2010? More Like 1910
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/23/2007 at 7:58pm
bindings are boots are both from '07 so they should both have the grip fit technology.. uber Thumbs%20Down if I have to spend more money to fix this problem
hoon View Drop Down
Guest Gear Expert

Quote hoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2007 at 3:43am
uhh the gripfit is on the high end stuff. what bindings is she (or is it are she, nope is she) rocking?
2010? More Like 1910
shagwag3n View Drop Down
Local
Local
Duck of Death

Quote shagwag3n Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2007 at 4:52am

don't mean to threadjack but reading ur initial post on what u do to set up ur bindings, do u know if Burton has any of their bindings instructional booklets online available for viewing or download? just wondering bc i just picked up a set of used p1's from someone and they don't have the instructions anymore.

Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2007 at 8:15am
07 lexas and emeralds.. that's the little grooves on the inner of the capstrap and on the back of the boot u're referring to, right?
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2007 at 8:40am
Originally posted by Nu-Nu

07 lexas and emeralds.. that's the little grooves on the inner of the capstrap and on the back of the boot u're referring to, right?

grip fit is another layer of rubber on the bottom of the cap straps.  it covers the whole top front of the boots.
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2007 at 8:47am

not sure if you can really see from the picture but its that part on the bottom.  its on the p1, c60, c02 for this season.
hoon View Drop Down
Guest Gear Expert

Quote hoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2007 at 9:02am
should be on the cartels, escapades, lexas, notoris too.

Convertible Capstrap with Grip Fit

Easily transforms to a normal toe strap to suit whatever style you're feeling. Now even more responsive thanks to Grip Fit.

personally i think the gripfit is much better on the higher end bindings that aren't convertible capstraps.

but with that said, i think the convertible capstraps are better than the regular capstraps for fit.

Edited by hoon - Jan/24/2007 at 9:03am
2010? More Like 1910
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2007 at 9:08am

ahhh grip fit=ribbed part.  i thought it was the extra rubber on the bottom of the super capstraps. my mistake.

Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2007 at 2:20pm
yea, she's got those little grooves on them. it gets stuck there pretty good.
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote myke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2007 at 6:49pm
We had the same problem with my girlfriend's lexas - and women's freestyle boots. Took a little tweaking to figure it out, but i got it fixed without too much hassle.

There's two locations for each side of the strap - where it fits into the binding. You might have to put one on the forward position, and one in the back position - and possibly re-adjust the placement of the toe-cap on the strap (not bad since it's toolless).

Basically what happens is, because of the position of the boot in relation to the position of the straps - when you go to close the straps, you get some twisting/uneven bending of the straps. This causes the ratchet to only be able to grab part of the ladder as it's not going in completely even and smooth.

What you have to do is make sure that when the straps close, and it rachets down - that you're getting a smooth even arc to the straps around the boot, and that the ladder is going into the rachet smooth/even.

Hope that helps. If it doesn't make sense, i'll post some pics tomorrow.

I'm here for the gangbang....
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2007 at 7:08pm
so you're saying on the toe ladder, you might put the plastic on the forward position of the base plate, and the capstrap would be on the back position slot of the base plate? hmm, i thought of that but then i never thought of carrying through and experimenting.. that's definitely very helpful sinixstar.. please do post pix if you can... we had several Burton reps at the Burton HQ try to fix it and they didn't really seem like they good.. even the manager and a gear techie tried fixing it..
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote myke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/24/2007 at 7:56pm
word - i'll post some tomorrow. Kinda late, girl's sleepin, i don't wanna be bangin around with boards in the living room.

I had a similar problem with my platforms after I adjusted the heel cup. I got an M/L binding - so i had to move everything in a bit to fit my size 9. When i moved the heel cup in, because it was pushing the toe of my boot forward more, it tweaked the straps a bit.

With the toe cups, since they're designed to fit around your boot insted of just over it - you have to make sure that the straps are positioned just right. Kinda sucks cause i'm sure a 1 cent piece of metal on the rachet to guide the strap would probably fix this.
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote myke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2007 at 11:26am
Before I start - I should have asked you this before, but when you got these boots and bindings, did you make any adjustments to 'em - or did you just put 'em on? There's other things you might need to tweak to get a better fit, aside from doing this, that's going to be better to do. You want to make sure that you're boot is in a good position on the binding, and that the straps are in a good spot over your boot. These two things are absolutely key before anything else. When I did this, it was sort of a last resort - as nothing else seemed to get it quite right. Seeing as you had Burton techs looking at it and they couldn't figure it out, you might not have many Options left.

That being said....

I had to use pictures from my forum bindings instead of the lexas. The places where the plastic part of the strap fits into the binding is a little more concealed on the lexa - and it was kind of hard to get a good picture of it.
The adjuments on the forums here are very similar, and you should be able to get the idea of what i was talkin about.

on to the photos:

if you look at the back foot

this is sort of the normal way to do it.
If you look at where the strap meets the base, they're both in the front position.

Now, if you look at the front foot:

You'll notice that the side of the strap on the inside of the foot is in the front position, and the strap on the outside of the foot is in the back position.

Now, why i was having this problem only on my right foot (i'm goofy) is a bit of a mystery. I think it has more to do with the fact that my boots wore in a little differently, and the outside of the toe on my right boot seems to be shaped a little differently then my left foot. Thus causing a bad fit.

I tried playing around with it in a variety of positions - but this was the only thing that seemed to give me a good even fit, and didn't twist the plastic of the straps in weird directions. It feels perfectly fine, rides fine, haven't had any problems.

Now something else that you'll notice - and this is something to definately keep in mind if you try this - is you look at the front foot, the position of the toe cap is further out on the strap then it is on the back foot.
On the back foot - if you look at the inside picture - you'll see there's one hole in the strap before the toecap starts. If you look at the picture for the front foot, there's 2 holes before the toe cap starts.

I adjusted this on the forum simply for comfort, it seemed to fit over the boot a little bit better that way. This is a bit of a tricky spot on the lexa - because as i'm sure you've noticed, the toecaps are shaped quite a bit differently between the two bindings.
hoon View Drop Down
Guest Gear Expert

Quote hoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2007 at 12:14pm
LOL the funny part is that my front caps are set up the complete opposite of yours. they are all the way in the farthest out slots. extending beyond the binding. i'll try to get a pic up later tonight.
2010? More Like 1910
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote myke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2007 at 12:58pm
Yea, i'm on the extreme low side of the binding, i had to bring everything in a bit to get a good fit. The medium platform fits up to size 9 - the M/L is 9.5 and up.
I didn't want to get stuck where if i get a new boot that has a bigger profile - that the M would be too tight a fit. That happened with my old Drake bindings/ Forum JP Walker boots (great boot - but really big) - and it was a pain in the ass.
hoon View Drop Down
Guest Gear Expert

Quote hoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2007 at 3:59pm
yah i rock a medium binding with a 9.5 boot. so i am on the other end of the spectrum.

good point. the sizing could be part of it. a 6.5 boot in a medium binding will definitely need everything set up similar to the way sini has his stuff set up.

Edited by hoon - Jan/25/2007 at 4:01pm
2010? More Like 1910
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2007 at 9:09pm
thanks for tips.. will investigate as soon as i return
rontruong View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote rontruong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2007 at 7:15pm
how necessary is it to put the highback parallel to the board???
its so hard to get it there or kinda annoying as just one person... and it feels like imma break my bindings

uhh I have a Burton mission 07 btw
myke View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote myke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/26/2007 at 10:18pm
Originally posted by rontruong

how necessary is it to put the highback parallel to the board???
its so hard to get it there or kinda annoying as just one person... and it feels like imma break my bindings

uhh I have a Burton mission 07 btw

it's not like you're gonna die if you don't - it just gives you better support, and better transfer of power to the edge of your board.
rontruong View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote rontruong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2007 at 8:20am
Okay thanks,
I have one last question oh and first of all here are my specs
    5'11" 145 lbs
    intermediate all mountain rider
    2007 Palmer p-line w/ 2007 Burton mission bindings
    size 10.5 boots

So I'm trying to figure out my stance width and positioning, is there a special rule to how long the width should be?  Should my bindings be centered or set back or forward for an all mountain rider?  I read somewhere that it should be set back an inch, meaning move everything back one set of holes?

Thanks
hoon View Drop Down
Guest Gear Expert

Quote hoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2007 at 8:50am
2010? More Like 1910
rontruong View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote rontruong Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2007 at 9:26am
what am i measuring for the reference stance of 21 inches? the distance between both mounting sites or the distance from tip of board to mounts
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2007 at 10:26am
stance width is measured from the center of one disk to the other.
hoon View Drop Down
Guest Gear Expert

Quote hoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2007 at 3:48pm
yep. that's it.
2010? More Like 1910
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/30/2007 at 7:14am
Geek
blulegend View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote blulegend Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2007 at 10:38am
I just got a pair of Ride EX bindings and I'm wondering if I should center the boot in the binding and how to tell if it's centered or not.  Should I make it so the middle of the sole is lined up with the center of the baseplate?  Right now, I have it set to the size of my boot and it seems like the boot sits a little bit back relative to the baseplate.  Come to think of it, I don't even think there are enough settings to make the boot centered.
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/14/2007 at 11:18am

your boots should be centered on your board. bolt down your bindings and strap you boot into them with you not in the boots.  now look straight down your snowboarding from the tip. is the boot centered?

hoon View Drop Down
Guest Gear Expert

Quote hoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2007 at 5:27am
Official binding adjustment:

MOUNTING BINDINGS 101

1/1/2006

Setting up bindings is pretty easy once you get the hang of it. Here are a few easy steps that will help you get started.

1. There are left and right bindings. Check them out and you’ll notice that they are shaped like feet. You’ll know you have the bindings on the proper foot if the binding buckles are on the outside of your foot.

2. Now you need to figure out whether you have a ‘goofy’ stance (meaning your right foot is in front of your left) or a regular stance (your left foot leads with your right in the back). There are lots of different ways to do this – none of which are foolproof. If you’ve skateboarded in the past, the foot that you push with should be your back foot on a snowboard. Here’s another way to test your stance you: slide across a slippery floor in your socks – which foot naturally slides in front? This should be your front foot on a snowboard. You can’t be completely sure about your stance until you get to the hill and link a few turns. When you take a lesson, your instructor will help you figure out whether you’re goofy or regular.

3. Back to mounting the bindings. The bindings mount to the board with three screws and washers for each binding, which are included in your binding box. These will fit into the center holes of the triangular hole pattern on the disks.

4. Now look for the reference stance on the board, it’s screen printed on the board in the shape of a triangle and also over the inserts you’ll be using to mount the bindings. There are a bunch of different Options, but we’ll use the reference stance. Once you’ve lined up the bindings over those holes, you need to adjust the angle before tightening the screws. Angles are marked on the disks. Set the angle to 21º on the front binding and 6º on the back binding.

Once you’re done, the setup should look like this:

If you have any questions, call
Burton Rider Service at 1-800-881-3138 and they’ll help you out.

2010? More Like 1910
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/26/2007 at 7:39am
i rotated my highbacks, finally. my rear tight did not get sore yesterday. Thumbs%20Up 
might be becase i took an easy day though and just chilled on the bunnies trying to give lessons. will report back after a hard day of riding.
hoon View Drop Down
Guest Gear Expert

Quote hoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2007 at 6:06am
an eesa day? LOL.
2010? More Like 1910
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/27/2007 at 12:31pm
when?
hellbunni View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote hellbunni Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2008 at 2:38pm
I just bought a size 8 boots with a Burton FreeStyle binding (with no gas pump).
And I noticed that when I put my boots into the bindings I notice that there is an inch or 2 of the toe of my boot that is not touching the binding (similar to what you have in your picture).  Is this normal?

Originally posted by gsrrr

your boots should be centered on your board. bolt down your bindings and strap you boot into them with you not in the boots.  now look straight down your snowboarding from the tip. is the boot centered?

oddy View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote oddy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2008 at 7:42pm
Originally posted by shagwag3n

don't mean to threadjack but reading ur initial post on what u do to set up ur bindings, do u know if Burton has any of their bindings instructional booklets online available for viewing or download? just wondering bc i just picked up a set of used p1's from someone and they don't have the instructions anymore.

Even better than the manuals.  There's a few videos on Burton.com explaining how to set up Burton bindings.
agentorange View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
East Coast Rider

Quote agentorange Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jul/16/2008 at 1:29am
Just get Flow bindings and everyone will be happy.
www.myspace.com/disgruntledamericans
 Post Reply Post Reply