Extra 10-20% off select Purchases
More Info - Join Now
1 Staff | 15 Members
Live Chat
trusnow
Powered by 386,730 Members
Shopping Forum Out of Stock
username or email password
 Forum Home > SNOWBOARDS > I'm riding tomorrow, how bout you?

Quick Login: Forgot password?

Whistler 3/17 - 3/24

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
dcdomain View Drop Down
Local
Local
Citizen Chan

Online Status: Offline
  Quote dcdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Whistler 3/17 - 3/24
    Posted: Mar/06/2007 at 4:00pm
First time riding outside the East Coast! Any specific runs to look out for? What part of the mountain should I stick to?

I'm going to have one free day where I won't be riding. Is there anything interesting at the village to do for that day? What to explore? Or should I hit up Vancouver and check out the city. Anything interesting there?

LASTLY, anyone riding in Whistler that same week? I'd love to ride with you guys...
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2007 at 6:08pm
You are one lucky dude I have been looking at their site a ton.  I am definitely taking a trip out there next year.
www.chargeharder.com
dcdomain View Drop Down
Local
Local
Citizen Chan

Quote dcdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2007 at 6:13pm
Let's set up a Sierra trip out there! I was looking in the back of their brochure and for NYC people, trips start at around $1,000 for close to a week of riding. I'm paying almost $1,500 for about the same package =[.

Plus, I want to ride with people that are actually down to ride. Half my friends going on this trip were complaining about the costs, but what has irked me is that they talked about how they wanted to ride so much preseason, and when the season came around, they barely touched the snow. Angry

Been riding by myself or with strangers for most of the season...
gsrrr View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
shred ze gnar

Quote gsrrr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2007 at 8:02pm
what does that $1000 include?  you are going to love it there.  
phizzle View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote phizzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/06/2007 at 10:04pm
I think you could possibly do it cheaper than 1500...look at hostils in the area..you can get them for like 25 dollars can. a night. Also on ebay they have a bunch 2 for 1 lift tickets on there. A couple of buddies and myself were gonna road trip up there so I did a bunch of research although unfortanetly the trip didn't work out.

or is the 1500 including airfair?
"So which one is the hot tub casanova"?
dcdomain View Drop Down
Local
Local
Citizen Chan

Quote dcdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2007 at 3:50am
It's including airfare from NYC. However, so does the $1,000 package advertised by Whistler in the magazine. When I get back home next week I'll take another look at it. We can start talking about next year!
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2007 at 10:15am
Man I did some pricing and It was going to be about $1000 a person (4)including airfare.  I would love to plan a big trip out there next year with some sierra peeps.
www.chargeharder.com
SGT712 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
East Coast Rider

Quote SGT712 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/07/2007 at 10:58am
Most likely I'll be heading out there next season.  Have fun, man!
Quiver: GNU Park Pickle 156
Stance: 15/-9, 24"
Jaspaul View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Jaspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2007 at 1:17pm
I wouldn't mind going up there for a day or two if the weather's good - pm me your contact info if you're interested in meeting up Smile
sin21856 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote sin21856 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2007 at 2:27pm
Lucky! Enjoy! Smile
Capita Horrorscope 52 - Union DK Custom House - GNU Riders Choice 57.5 MTX - K2 Formula - Burton Retro Twin 52 - Burton Cartel OLS - Thanks Sierra!
kimchijajonshim View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
Bear Hugs!

Quote kimchijajonshim Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2007 at 2:35pm
Love to head out there, and with Sierra peeps I'd be even greater.  I only know two people off the top of my head who'd be down for such a trip.
ROLL ON, BISHES.
Bundy View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Bundy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/08/2007 at 5:40pm

Ahh Whistler...I remember going there when I was Noob! I definitely need to head back now that I've gotten better. Enjoy it!!!

Holy Crap!!! Your going during spring break...you definitely going to have fun! There are hella people from Oregon and Washington state there partyin during that time. Oh yeah if you do any shoppin get ready for the 14% Tax you have to pay!!!
azsnowboarder02 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote azsnowboarder02 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/11/2007 at 8:42pm

Isn't whistler year round snow?

Mike.M View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
OUTSIDE MY DECK

Quote Mike.M Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2007 at 8:20am
i had 5 1ft pow days in a row in january at whistler. i think i am going back for some spring park action in may. it has snowed 36ft there this year!!!! and it keeps dumping!!!

i have some advise about your friends. leave them! whistler is not for the faint of heart. you need to be strong to ride there. there is 5000 verticle feet there. most resorts are between 1000 and 2000 verticle feet. the top of blackcomb (after taking a 30 minute gondola and 2 chair lifts is like its own resort). after riding all that, you still need to ride down the other 2/3 of the mountain to get to the village.

ride wherever the conditions take you. i have been there 5 times and only scratched the surface of both mountains.

it you get fresh snow, go staight to the blackcomb glaicer on the back side...leave your friends though and hook up with locals... check out the monstrous wind lip at the top anf the "blow hole" which is a steep shoot type thing at the top. to get to the glacier, you take the gondola, 2 chair lifts, a t bar and then hike about 20 min.then you have a 6.5 mile pow run hopefully

have a blast...everything is amazing in whistler
dcdomain View Drop Down
Local
Local
Citizen Chan

Quote dcdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2007 at 9:02am
Jeez, thanks Mike.M! Very informative. Now I have to really find a pow board locally. I was thinking about shipping a board to Whistler directly, but reading about all the customs and taxes got my head spinning. In the end, I might as well pay the 3 day shipping charge.

I'm waiting on a reply from some friends who are there this week. Wanted to see how the pow conditions were from their point of view. I'm pretty sure they are riding whatever boards they usually ride and never bothered to pick up a pow board.
BRUIZZA View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members
I'm kinda a big deal!

Quote BRUIZZA Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2007 at 4:52pm
6.5 mile pow run Holy F*ckin Sh*t that is insane I will be there next year.  dc take 2098098503495840958 pics please.
www.chargeharder.com
dcdomain View Drop Down
Local
Local
Citizen Chan

Quote dcdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/12/2007 at 6:27pm
Lost my camera at Killington, all my fault though. Confused

Looks like I'll be borrowing a friend's camera or something, we'll see who trusts me with it.
Jaspaul View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote Jaspaul Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2007 at 12:50pm
Originally posted by dcdomain

Jeez, thanks Mike.M! Very informative. Now I have to really find a pow board locally. I was thinking about shipping a board to Whistler directly, but reading about all the customs and taxes got my head spinning. In the end, I might as well pay the 3 day shipping charge.

I'm waiting on a reply from some friends who are there this week. Wanted to see how the pow conditions were from their point of view. I'm pretty sure they are riding whatever boards they usually ride and never bothered to pick up a pow board.

Stuff is retardedly expensive up here, and like is the case with most board stores this late in the season stock levels are low... if you plan on buying locally I'd call ahead and see what they have available.

Customs and shipping sucks, but if you're flying up there's not much involved in bringing your own equipment.

I'd say best bet is to grab a board locally, stuff it into a nice big board bag that'll accept a couple boards (like a Dakine High Roller or something) and bring it all up as checked luggage.
dcdomain View Drop Down
Local
Local
Citizen Chan

Quote dcdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/14/2007 at 1:13pm
Picked up a Salomon Burner 157 so I should be okay. I'm going to bring that and the O-Matic board. I guess on the first day, groomed runs are unavoidable since I'll be riding with friends that haven't really ridden all season. I plan on using the Burner for all the other days when I can get some time alone to explore the mountain.

Thanks again for all the notes, I'll be taking them with me to the mountain to plot out the paths I'll take each day.
dcdomain View Drop Down
Local
Local
Citizen Chan

Quote dcdomain Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/15/2007 at 6:58am
Compiling a bunch of notes from various sites including you guys. Will format later on, anything to add please let me know.

RIDING

General

As for good spots to hit up, just follow the weather. The mountain is huge and you could probably be there 5 days without doing the same run twice. Back side Blackcomb is a ton of fun if the weather cooperates, but it does involve a bit of hiking. If anything I'd say go high up on one of the two mountains. It'll seem packed at first, especially with the spring break crowd, but as you move up further in the mountain the conditions get better and the crowds die down.

Both mountains offer complimentary tours for intermediates and experts, which may be the best way for those new to this resort to learn their way around. Tours meet outside the Roundhouse Lodge on Whistler (at the top of the Village Gondola) and at the Rendezvous on Blackcomb (at the top of the Solar Coaster) at 11:30 a.m. The tour guides are seasoned skiers at both mountains so you'll get some history with your adventure.

Whistler
My key snowboarding tip for Whistler is when it's a powder day, always start on the left of the mountain and move to the right during the day. That's simply because that's where the wind blows it.

Whistler mountains skiable vertical elevation is 1530 metres(5020 feet) from the pique of 2182 metres (7160 feet). There is a skiable terrain of over 4500 acres making sure you always have a new run to discover no matter how long you are here for. That is just about the entire skiable area of Vail, Colorado in just half of what Whistler Blackcomb has to offer.

Also residing on Whistler mountain is the Whistler Pipe and Chipmunk Rail Park for beginner/intermediate freestyle boarders. The pipe has relatively low walls making it a good way to start your freestyle learning experience. The park is divided into an easy beginners side and a side for intermediate advanced boarders. Expect to see some relatively easy low rails and big boxes in the beginners park making it easy to get started without having to hit those intimidating big ones in the advanced parks.

Access the 16 lifts via either the Village or Creekside gondola and make your way to the pique to ride the longest run of 11km (7miles) back down to the village. After a few of these giant runs the legs should be burning and it will be time time to get some lunch or a cold beer in one of its eight mountain restaurants. By far the most popular of these is The Roundhouse located at the top of the village gondola offering the largest range at surprisingly competitive prices. It is just as cheap to eat up the mountain as in the village which is unheard of in alpine restaurants.

When there's plenty of fresh snow (quite often considering Whistler has just had the snowiest January on record- 461cm!), take the peak chair and ride the peak-to-creek run taking the 'Khiber's Pass' line down to creek side, this run is unpisted and is pretty much the most fun you can have on a board!

Beginner

The good news on the Whistler side is that there's plenty of green-rated skiing higher up on the mountain. The bad<

Post Reply Post Reply