Share/Save/Bookmark Page  <1234 5>

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
Civicforever View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
mx5

Online Status: Offline
  Quote Civicforever Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: What wax do you use
    Posted: Jan/05/2009 at 5:16pm
Originally posted by Sammy

Whacks Wax works really well on crappy cold east coast snow.  it's a really hard wax with an additive that works well on ice.

www.whackswax.com

Thanks for the spam

Unfortunately for Sammy and me calling them out on it, it is a good product. Was fast for me and was never slow when I used it in the varying NY weather.

If anyone needs to try it, I think they still do a thing on their site where they end a small sample and you just pay $2 for shjipping
kyleighcloo View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote kyleighcloo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/05/2009 at 9:59pm
ive been paying to get mine waxes latly im gunna start waxing my own again 
razzle dazzle View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote razzle dazzle Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2009 at 6:11pm
Instead of hot scrapping would using base cleaner be an appropriate alternative?
daxdagr8t View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote daxdagr8t Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/07/2009 at 10:23pm
one ball jay spring wax, smells good too.
days ridden: 11
twofootonion View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote twofootonion Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/20/2009 at 6:40pm
I use OneBallJay F-1 with great results.  Got a compliment from the wifey the other day on how slick and easy her board was to handle.

Him: 155 M4 Talon, Flow Amp5, 32 Prions      Her: 140 Burton Feather, Flow Linx, Burton Trysts
md10holla View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote md10holla Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2009 at 8:55am
how do you know when the wax is sunk into the base good
DanielFrankLee View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote DanielFrankLee Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2009 at 12:10pm
toko universal wax.
-Daniel :0)
crabberapple View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote crabberapple Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/21/2009 at 2:23pm
hot sauce wax and i have heard that hot scrapping your board is better for it then base cleaner.
MisterIsarocker View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote MisterIsarocker Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/25/2009 at 12:33am
same as crabberapple hot sauce wax 
soxplayer View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote soxplayer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jan/29/2009 at 12:47pm
swix is best! one ball jay is good too!!!! wait till season is about to end and stock up cheaper, and if your not possitive and don't wanna guess use all temp but its safe to say if its winter and you know its cold go with the cold and warm towards end of season, there is a difference in the two...warm wax is softer and cold wax is harder!

check this site out its the best I've come across, and it talkes about the different types of wax flouro and hydro
volcomsnwbrdr7 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote volcomsnwbrdr7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Feb/04/2009 at 6:59pm
i rarely wax. i should probably look into doing that.

billy
icymallard View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote icymallard Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/01/2009 at 3:26pm
toko universal, because it is hands down the best price I can find.
apparently it is decent too, i thought it was just cheap stuff.
birdy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote birdy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/10/2009 at 12:41pm
Bluebird all temp or cold.
djinhwan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote djinhwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2009 at 4:35am
candles
DLim98 View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote DLim98 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2009 at 4:55am
tDoes the shavings for one ball jay make it easier than the drip method?
152 Rome Agent || Union Force || 32 TM-Two
xpharmdx09 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote xpharmdx09 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2009 at 6:53am

In the winter I use the Toko All Temp wax... works pretty good and really cheap.  In the summer i use the 1BallJay Summer wax.

Snowguy7 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote Snowguy7 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/23/2009 at 2:05pm
anyone know where to get cheap burton wax? 

the places that have 50% off usually have shipping just as much as the wax...  
hydro and fluoro all temp is what I'm looking at

thanks!
dimm0k View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Mammoth, CA - Jan 07, 2009

Quote dimm0k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2009 at 12:31pm
Originally posted by xpharmdx09

In the winter I use the Toko All Temp wax... works pretty good and really cheap.  In the summer i use the 1BallJay Summer wax.

How cheap do you get your Toko wax for?
jonl89 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote jonl89 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/26/2009 at 1:03pm
Swix is the best ive used.........fo sho haha
JMSM512 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote JMSM512 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2009 at 10:14am
Magical Go-go

I love this stuff.  There all-temp is nice and they have a "fast" all-temp that has graphite in it.  Small, cool company as well
Scotty68 View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote Scotty68 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2009 at 1:20pm
bluebird...supposivly friendly to the environment
boardoholic View Drop Down
Local
Local
The Dragon

Quote boardoholic Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Mar/27/2009 at 7:39pm
A couple weeks back, I finally got a hold of some of the Hertel Super Hot Sauce all-temp. I haven't used it in years, so it was great to be using such a tried & trusted product again. The substitutes were fine, but there seriously must be something right w/ their stuff.

It ran great on my Custom in the fresh pow at Sugar Bowl on Sun & held up fine on Day 2 at Kirkwood. On Tue, I rode my Rome Agent, which I waxed on Mon w/ the "Cold Shock Curing Method" that Zoe posted up a while back. I couldn't really tell if it helped or not. I guess I'll take a closer look at the base to see how it held up.
PS: This is what part of the alphabet would look like if Q and R were missing. ~Mitch Hedberg
Jigkidd View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
TWISTER!

Quote Jigkidd Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2009 at 10:25am
I use teh Gnu all temperature banana wax- you got served
ti's a green banana nad ti smells like coconut- you got served
bubbagooch View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote bubbagooch Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/01/2009 at 3:46pm
Originally posted by Jigkidd

I use teh Gnu all temperature banana wax- you got served
ti's a green banana nad ti smells like coconut- you got served

It's made by One Ball Jay
heischjr View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote heischjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2009 at 6:29am
i buy the swix wax that comes with 3 different temperature options.
djinhwan View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote djinhwan Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/02/2009 at 10:45am
haha yea i got that also
looks neat
Kendo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Mammoth, May 2009

Quote Kendo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 9:01am
Has anyone tried this scraper tool that holds all of the wax shavings?  I just came across it on eBay and it looks interesting.

heischjr View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor

Quote heischjr Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 9:43am
i like the idea of that.  scraping can be so messy.  i have seen it but have not heard how well it works.
Kendo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Mammoth, May 2009

Quote Kendo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 9:54am
It's about $15 including shipping so I think I'll give it a try.  From their feedback, more people like it than hate it... guess I'll find out the old fashioned way.  Smile
dimm0k View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dimm0k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/03/2009 at 9:55am
Anyone willing to take one for the team and get one?
Kendo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Mammoth, May 2009

Quote Kendo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 1:19pm
A'ite... mine came in the mail today.  The scraping edge part is 3 5/8" across, and it does a decent job of getting most of the wax off and into the reservoir portion.  I did eventually resort to using a regular plastic scraper to finish it off though.  Mess level was way down, and it's a good item to have in the arsenal... I'd just have the tried and true good ol' fashioned scrapers on hand as well.  I'll give it a go again in a few weeks after hitting Mammoth and update the results.
dimm0k View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dimm0k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/14/2009 at 2:52pm
Sweet, great to hear that someone bit the bullet and give it a try.  After doing my first wax and scrape I was contemplating trying it out myself from all the damn shavings that resulted from inexperience with how much wax to drip.  Maybe I'll pick one up for the next season...

When are you hitting Mammoth?  I'll be dropping by there at the end of the month myself...
stance: regular, front/back: 15/-15
old: Technine '04 MFM Pro bindings, Forum JP Walker 147cm
new: Burton '09 Triad EST bindings, Burton '09 Custom ICS 151cm
ezza444 View Drop Down
Educator
Educator

Quote ezza444 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2009 at 12:00am
I bought this wax once and cant remember the name, I was in such a hurry to wax my board I just threw the packaging out. It left black smears all down the board and took some serious scraping to get it off. I'll never be buying a dark wax again, just in case its the same one. Before that I had thought all hot wax's were pretty much similar.
birdy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote birdy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2009 at 6:48am
How long has Mr. Zog been making Sex-Wax for snowboards?!! It's like $3.00, shame they seem to ship everywhere in the world other than the bloody UK. 

Has anyone tried it? I've used their surfboard wax

http://www.sexwaxdealer.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=product.display&product_ID=5&ParentCat=1
dimm0k View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dimm0k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2009 at 7:17am
Hah, website is blocked here at work...
Kendo View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Mammoth, May 2009

Quote Kendo Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/15/2009 at 9:43am
We'll be riding at Mammoth on the 1st and 2nd of May... gotta make use of my new MVP10 pass!  Big smile
dimm0k View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dimm0k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Apr/16/2009 at 3:30am
Sweet, maybe we'll bump into each other!
dudeguy-man View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dudeguy-man Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2009 at 6:48am
Dudeman, you should use Magical Go Go. it's awesome and fun. and they have a sweet crew.
sullyj42 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote sullyj42 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: May/16/2009 at 4:03pm
i use burton wax all round ice wax november(snowmaking permitting), even october at sunday river, through mid january, all temp jan early march, spring for the rest.
jayxprez View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote jayxprez Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/12/2009 at 8:18pm
Originally posted by dudeguy-man

Dudeman, you should use Magical Go Go. it's awesome and fun. and they have a sweet crew.

Agreed.  I picked up a brick of this mid season last year and it's good stuff.  Mine is grape scented and smells like candy.  I've also used OBJ and have nothing but good words about it.  I'm a tuning nut and wax almost everytime before taking a board out... more than what's necessary, I know, but its just my preference... no damage done as far as I know.
carloxs View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote carloxs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Jun/14/2009 at 6:57am
I use Toko All Temp wax, it works fine for me, and it is cheap at ebay. :)
PindaBoy View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote PindaBoy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2009 at 11:49am
Originally posted by JMSM512

Magical Go-go

I love this stuff.  There all-temp is nice and they have a "fast" all-temp that has graphite in it.  Small, cool company as well

I just bought some today. Plan to wax my board this weekend. My Ride DH came looking lil dry.
Live your dream, don't sleep through it
VermontRider View Drop Down
Expert Members
Expert Members

Quote VermontRider Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2009 at 11:50am
Bluebird Wax! www.bluebirdwax.com
dylanpipe View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote dylanpipe Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/27/2009 at 11:53am
right now i have Swix wax, cause thats all no school had. but plan on getting some more magical gogo
days:60
riding on ice, filming on ice
harobikes333 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote harobikes333 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2009 at 6:37pm
Originally posted by ShredbettyZoe

I use KUU in universal, warm, and cold - OMG they smell so delicious, I wanna eat it while im waxing Shocked. They have a useful tuning manual online too, its worth browsing through. Here's a little diddy from it:

"15. ADVANCED HOT WAXING
Wax Curing: Cooling the wax and base at room temperature is fine for general waxing,
shop and rental purposes.
COLD SHOCK CURING: This is the method, developed by KUU Wax Technologies and is
used for competition. If the snowboard or skis are placed out in the cold or base down in
the snow, right after waxing, the surface area of the base and wax forms a tighter
molecule structure that locks MORE wax and FURTHER into the base than
conventional methods.
Durability: We have found that wax and bases wear more quickly along the base
edges, particularly along the edges in the mid. board section. Wear near the edges is
caused by the force/pressure of carving, sliding and stopping,. In order to increase the
“wear” factor, we run a very small bead of the next recommended colder temp. wax
along the two of the edges of the base. Colder temp. wax is more durable and will
therefore last longer.
"

Id like to pick up some of this for my edges!

Holy crap...

Sorry but I don't live AT all close enough to a mountain to justify spending that much on wax.   Looks pretty sweet though.
jeff.barrett View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jeff.barrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2009 at 6:55pm
I use Dakine Nitrous Cold Wax. I have no complaints so far - and I can get some SERIOUS speed with the stuff.

Seems to absorb into the base last fairly well.... I'm usually don't feel a different until near the end of my 3rd day of riding. I'm a tall heavy guy and a day of riding for me consists of sun up to sun down on the mountains - so getting 3 days out of my wax is a pretty big deal for me I suppose....

Also, the conditions here at home (not in the mountains) are often very cold and icy - which tends to be harsh on the wax / base.
Failure has many excuses, success needs none ....
EMHM00 View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum

Quote EMHM00 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2009 at 6:57pm
I use OBJ X-Wax or Go-go.
jeff.barrett View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote jeff.barrett Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2009 at 7:02pm
Instead of hot scrapping would using base cleaner be an appropriate alternative?

BTW... just a note on base cleaners based on my own personal experience.....

DON'T USE A BASE CLEANER UNLESS YOU RIDE THROUGH A LOT OF DIRTY CRAPPY SNOW OR URBAN TERRAIN.

Unless your base is subjected to the harsh and often dirty urban snow and grit, or severely stained with gunk.... I wouldn't use a base cleaner on your board. Contrary to old school belief, base cleaner will do two things to your base.

1 - It will dry your base out over time.
2 - It will clog all the pores in your base preventing wax from properly penetrating into it and functioning as it was originally designed.

Base cleaner is a just a gimmick for companies to sell more product. Yes, it does have a purpose and there are times when it is necessary to use it - but use it sparingly and only when it is required to do the job it was meant to do.... clean crappy gunk off your board that won't come off with a simple scraping...

My suggestion instead, is to simply heat the base with a small amount of wax, scrape it off along with the dirty shit that will come out of the pores ... then proceed to wax your base as you normally would after using base cleaner.
Failure has many excuses, success needs none ....
RelyK View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.
Fall is my favorite season

Quote RelyK Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Oct/28/2009 at 7:15pm
I use Hertel Super Hot Sauce, or Bluebird.. this season will be all bluebird because I get wholesale
BunnySloper View Drop Down
Ski Bum
Ski Bum
Love my new Bern helmet!

Quote BunnySloper Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Nov/24/2009 at 5:05pm

I used the Dakine wax that came with my tune kit. Never used anything else so can't really compare but they were ok I guess. Just ordered some bluebird seeing that a lot of people like them, but man, their shipping rate is a kill joy.

I don't really smell anything with the Dakine wax. Neither good no r funky smelling.
In Pacific NW for part of the 2012/2013 Season.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1234 5>