Burton Flagship Store is Awesome

Share/Save/Bookmark

Author
  Topic Search Topic Search  Topic Options Topic Options
kthankzbye View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Online Status: Offline
  Quote kthankzbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Burton Flagship Store is Awesome
    Posted: Sep/22/2006 at 4:24pm

If anyone comes to NY, be sure to visit the burton flagship store! If you buy anything, they give you a crap load of stickers and the people are nice.  Tuning up a board cost only 40 dollars. Not sure if its cheap or expensive but it includes Hotwax, Edge sharpening and P-Tex. 

C4 View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
aka cnr913

Quote C4 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2006 at 5:16pm
I went to the outlet store in Wrentham, MA last year. It's pretty impressive although they didnt carry the upcoming seasons gear at the time. I would have thought they would carry at least SOME stuff seeing that other shops around were carrying it already. All in all it's packed with wall to wall goodness.
I break balls.
Mike View Drop Down
Sierra Warehouse
Sierra Warehouse

Quote Mike Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/22/2006 at 9:01pm
What no pictures I want to see the flag ship store
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2006 at 3:06am
I'll take some pictures next time I head down there and post them up. it is a pretty nice store, but in a remote location.. the average consumer won't know there's a burton store unless they are looking for it..
evernod View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
thank you, goodnight!

Quote evernod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/23/2006 at 5:01pm
it's not remote. it's in the middle of Soho.  it's a funny place because there are always about 6 million people working there at a time and maybe 10 customers.
i'm sure that they are making a killing, though.
this place is bleak.
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2006 at 2:32am
it's not really in the middle of Soho... it's like two blocks off Broadway St. and it's pretty quiet there as compared to the thousands of ppl walking on Broadway St. with the gazillion stores there... No one's going to just happen to look down one of the side streets and just happen to see the Burton store unless they know there's one there...
evernod View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
thank you, goodnight!

Quote evernod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2006 at 9:12am
where exactly do you live? 2 blocks off Broadway is pretty damn central. confusing to the lemmings wandering around looking for The Lion King, but pretty simple for any one of the droves of people wandering around Soho on any weekend. ALAS, this discussion is probably boring and meaningless to anyone else on this forum.

Edited by evernod - Sep/24/2006 at 9:15am
this place is bleak.
lienair View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote lienair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2006 at 10:26am
well as my gf lives four blocks from the Burton store. I would have to agree with evernod here. Its in the heart of the biggest goddamn shopping district there is. Soho is primarly the area between Broadway and West Broadway (actually all the way to sixth avenue) from houston to Grand. Which puts the Burton store damn near the exact center. Anyway its a great store lots of new stuff, every piece of equipment and most of the staff are pretty knowledgeable. Definitely try to make it by if you can.
hoon View Drop Down
Guest Gear Expert

Quote hoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2006 at 11:54am
Originally posted by lienair

Anyway its a great store lots of new stuff, every piece of equipment and most of the staff are pretty knowledgeable. Definitely try to make it by if you can.

definitely the joint! fun place, nice people and killer product!

did you see the brushie board complete with McBrushie T-shirt under the glas*?

visit if you can.

wrentham is great for some deals and of course when you are in burlington you gotta visit Burton plus the store. the wall of boards is dope!
2010? More Like 1910
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/24/2006 at 12:42pm
i don't disagree that it's in the center of soho, what i meant is that the middle of soho being the streets that the typical shopper walks down...all i was trying to say is that the typical shopper is going to just walk down broadway, say from down as union square to canal street, without ever really wandering off broadway unless say for example, the streets by washington square with NYU and all those little shops, and maybe towards astor place/st. marks... but the street where the burton store is located on, isn't exactly a shopping street... i guess that's just me, but my friends that shop on broadway never casually saw the burton store as they shopped on broadway, until they actually knew where it was and happened to walk down that street.

Edited by Nu-Nu - Sep/25/2006 at 7:54am
evernod View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
thank you, goodnight!

Quote evernod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2006 at 4:52am
i'm sorry, but Broadway runs North/South. these people you are referring to, sound like the ones who would never make it out of Time Square. but we digress....

Edited by evernod - Sep/25/2006 at 4:53am
this place is bleak.
lienair View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote lienair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2006 at 8:07am
those would be all the tourists making a b-line to canal street to buy knock-off merchandise.    they don't count. Yeah the store is a bit understated, i guess, but can you imagine how nuts it would be if everyone knew where it was.
evernod View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
thank you, goodnight!

Quote evernod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2006 at 8:37am
true. and as much as i am not too much of a Burton fan, i love going to that store. i love all the Analog streetwear and i love my R.E.D. helmet.
anyone been to the DC Store?
this place is bleak.
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2006 at 8:38am
i'm glad it's over on mercer/spring, cause like lienair was also saying, you'd probably have any casual broadway shopper walking in the store to check out the snowboards, and it'd probably either be a zoo in there or all the boards would get damaged from ppl picking them up and dropping them, etc.... if you were to ask 10 random ppl shopping on broadway where the burton store, more than half would probably not know.. the important thing is that we, snowboarders, know where to find the burton store...

btw, does anyone know what the burton store does during the summer time?
evernod View Drop Down
Instructor
Instructor
thank you, goodnight!

Quote evernod Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2006 at 8:46am
same as the winter, but they sell a lot more of their streetwear and shoes. i think the majority of it was a new thing last year. like 686's stuff. i went in to see what kind of sale they had on boards / bindings in the middle of the summer, and they were still only 30% off.  ohhhhh, Jake Burton, you must be loaded.
this place is bleak.
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2006 at 8:48am
didn't jake burton do a 100-day snowboarding adventure with his family traveling the world last year?
lienair View Drop Down
Local
Local

Quote lienair Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2006 at 8:50am
Originally posted by Nu-Nu

i'm glad it's over on mercer/spring, cause like lienair was also saying, you'd probably have any casual broadway shopper walking in the store to check out the snowboards, and it'd probably either be a zoo in there or all the boards would get damaged from ppl picking them up and dropping them, etc.... if you were to ask 10 random ppl shopping on broadway where the burton store, more than half would probably not know.. the important thing is that we, snowboarders, know where to find the burton store...

btw, does anyone know what the burton store does during the summer time?

That's funny i was there 4 days ago and this girl was knocking down snowboards all over the place.
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2006 at 8:56am

awww man, all those virgin boards damaged for life.... did you teach her a lesson???

brendon2k View Drop Down
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote brendon2k Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2006 at 2:41pm
Burton bought Channel Island suftboards so they could sell those in the off season. I doubt it though since I guess they are supposed to remain seperate entities.
06 Neversummer 158 SL
06 Ride Flight Tomcat

06 Forum Youngblood 152
06 Flux Platinum SWAT

DC Judge Boots w/BOA
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kthankzbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2006 at 3:24pm
Originally posted by evernod

true. and as much as i am not too much of a Burton fan, i love going to that store. i love all the Analog streetwear and i love my R.E.D. helmet.
anyone been to the DC Store?

Yeah, I got a friend who works at the DC store.. Isn't as nice as the burton one!
Lift Op.
Lift Op.

Quote kthankzbye Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2006 at 3:27pm
During the summer, they would try to get rid of all the last year model snowboards, bindings, and boots. They had a 30% off this summer when I went to look at boots. They also sell T-shirts and summer wear.
Dr. Nu-Nu View Drop Down
Board Member
Board Member
Burton Logo

Quote Dr. Nu-Nu Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/25/2006 at 7:18pm
30% is just horrible. Burton are such money whores.. Give to the sport and let all enjoy what snowboarding was meant to be, FUN!! Even Princeton and Emilio's has bigger sales, and then Sierra has 30%, 40%, and then 50% off their gear..
hoon View Drop Down
Guest Gear Expert

Quote hoon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: Sep/26/2006 at 3:17am
Originally posted by brendon2k

Burton bought Channel Island suftboards so they could sell those in the off season. I doubt it though since I guess they are supposed to remain seperate entities.

Dead

yes, in the off season burton (and the burton soho store) sells AG streetwear, surf wear and Gravis stuff. and of course now, most importantly for the long-term strategic growth of the company, Burton Life.

30% off from a flagship store is not a bad deal. why should Burton Soho (branded as a premium store) sell anything for sale? that is the reason they have a outlet store in Wrentham...

most stores in that area do the same thing. rarely do i see anything in any of the other SoHo flagship stores for under 30%. only department stores have those clearance sales on a regular basis.

Clearly Burton doesn't care if you buy their shizz for under 30% from Sierra or elsewhere in the summer. That's the beauty of having retail partners. Remember the main reason that there is a Burton SoHo store is to expand its brand presence to non-snowboarders and newbies. These people will buy retail prices regardless of the season. The SoHo store is not for the core. It's to expand the marketplace and awareness. Same for all the other Action Sports brands. Awareness pieces first. If they are also madly profitable, BONUS.

When I was there, a dood, clearly who never snowboarded, dropped a bunch of cash on a Royale, Cartels and Moto boots (i bit my tongue hard not to tell him that he should be buying some real boots instead). The sales guy was nice enough and took the time to walk him through everything and I think tried to get him to buy Rulers at least (the guy was in love with speedzone). But so at the end of the day he ended up with the motos. Since I was smitten with the cute sales girls, somehow I spent $40 on accessories. DOH.

the CI deal i believe will benefit both parties. AL was looking mainly to focus on shaping and the "fun" part of surfboard design, not the business part (hey man he's getting old). burton will provide him with the resources and know how to help push surfboard design forward 50 or so years since the last real revolution from balsa to foam. and Jake has been surfing more and more. plus you are correct it helps diversify burton to more of a 365 business model. but CI will remain independent but it does "for those in the know" help give Burton and its brands more credit in the surf industry. not sure when they will buy a ski or skate company (not in that order) but i am sure it'll be in the next 5 to 10 years if nike doesn't buy Burton first.

i expect and hope for big things.

2010? More Like 1910
 Post Reply Post Reply